Wage and benefits for Electricians

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Yuma, AZ, it is common for electrical contractor's not to pay for holidays, not offer medical or dental, and pay between $12-16.00 an hour for Journeyman Electricians. Some have even gone to paying wages on a twice a month basis (On the 5th and 20th of the month).

Has this lack of holiday pay and benefits become common across the country? Does anyone else get paid only twice a month? I know our wages are low because of our close proximity to the Mexican border and they can get cheap help for as low as $6.00 an hour, but how about the rest of the package? :confused:

ryan_618

Re: Wage and benefits for Electricians

In Utah when I was in the feild it was common for bi-weekly checks and no holiday pay. The wages were better than what you are saying and insurance was offered.

jes25

12-16 an hour is common in resedential but not commercial up here. Commercial is about 20-32$

Hey I have tossed around the idea of moving to so-cal. Specfically, San Diego the houses out there are pretty expensive so I am wondering does anyone know the wages for a journeyman or master.

Nick

Jes25,
Unless you are sitting pretty well financially San Diego is going to be extremely rough. Housing is VERY expensive and, unlike the Bay Area in Northern California, The wages for electricians don't reflect the cost of living down there. Union scale is about $28.00 per hour now. You can adjust the non union scale from there and decide for your self.

Nick

As for the original question, holiday pay is almost non existent in this trade. As for benefits, I can't answer that. I am in an organization that has benefits for everyone no matter where they go in the country. The wages in AZ, and the southern states in general, are lower than most of the country.

jimwalker

In Tamp Florida wages for helpers are about $8
mechanic level about $12 ,journeymen $14 to 18
and at 18 your running the job and even hard to get 18 for that.In general com men make $1 or $2 more than residential.Benifits are very low maybe insurance with company paying half of an inflated price.Holidays 5 or 6 are payed by most but some not till you been there a year.Vacation 1 week after a year and a few dont even offer that.Then they wonder why good help is hard to find. ;)
Wages in construction here have not raised in 15 years more than 10%

[ June 13, 2004, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

jes25

So Nick, I think 28 hr is doable with a 1000-1200$ apt. That is more than my house payment but whatever. I have done some looking at apts/houses. With houses starting at 450,000 that is out of the question. I just dont get why they dont pay more there with the housing costs.

How is the work load in that area about now. Is anybody hiring namely the union.

msd

CALIFORNIA WAGES

Well let me start off by saying that there is no standard. I have paid motivated apprentices a higher hourly wage than non-motivated journeymen. That being said...... Wages for residential are about here.....

$10.00 green
$12.50 helper some experiance.
$15.00 4 year apprentice
$18.00 journeyman
$25.00 foreman

As far as So Cal affordability......
Consider this.......
Typical rent here is $2000 - $2750 per month
Typical Mortgage $2500 - $3800

[ June 13, 2004, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: msd ]

jes25

I suppose your journeyman live with thier parents. Or do they commute from Nevada ;) ;)

Nick

I just dont get why they dont pay more there with the housing costs.
Well it's like this. Back in the 80's the local unions took huge wage cuts in order to compete with the non-union. Somehow everyone was convinced it would help secure work. Well like it or not, the union wage in an area drives the non-union wage as well. When the unions took a cut the nonunion wages went down as well and it is only in the last 5 years or so they have made any great strides to get it back.
Work is pretty good. The ballpark is done so things may have slowed down some. Work in LA is real good right now. Scale is about $31.00. Santa Barbra... I don't know.

[ June 14, 2004, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: Nick ]

brian john

In Washington DC (Union and my company policy)

Mech make 29.00 (in that range)at a minimum 1.00 over that for a service mech.
medical, Dental, prescriptions and eye glasses.
7 holidays and one week for the first five years 2 weeks after that 3 weeks after 10 years.

sdbob

Originally posted by msd:
CALIFORNIA WAGES

Well let me start off by saying that there is no standard. I have paid motivated apprentices a higher hourly wage than non-motivated journeymen. That being said...... Wages for residential are about here.....

$10.00 green
$12.50 helper some experiance.
$15.00 4 year apprentice
$18.00 journeyman
$25.00 foreman

As far as So Cal affordability......
Consider this.......
Typical rent here is $2000 - $2750 per month
Typical Mortgage $2500 - $3800
I'm in San Diego doing light commercial. We're paying just a hair more than this, $25.00 - $27.00 for an electrician that can run a crew of 3-4 guys and wire a building. Full medical and 401-k thrown in too. Oh, by the way, I'm looking for help. :cool:

These guys should be making more but it's hard to stay competitive if you wander out of this range.

The average price of a home in San Diego County just hit $500k. Rediculous.

[ June 23, 2004, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: sdbob ]

jes25

Looking for help huh. I wonder what I would have to do to transfer my Michigan Masters lic.

I am single I think I can do it with a 1 bedroom apt. Last time I was in town I looked in those rental mags, 1200-1500 for a alright 1 bedroom apt. :)

:D I know that rents are very high in the San Diego area. I rented an apartment in La Jolla for about 2 years. But you can always pitch a tent at the Green Valley Camp Ground near Julian, CA. They have good showers and bathrooms for $18.57 a night! (LOL) :D

[ June 23, 2004, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: ShockedOneinAZsun ]

chrsb

Joe, are you union? I hate to say this on this forum (don't know if it is appropiet) but you could always orgainise in. Scale is 32.00, I am a foreman and make 38.XX. Work is real slow right now, but it can't stay like this forever. The book is starting to move and people are getting work.

stew

Scale in Seattle is 33 for journeymen but 650 or more on the books means 8 months to get out as things are so slow. Recovery??? tell that to a union guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.