Wa. State Exam Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings to all, this is my first post. I was very happy to find this forum as I look for information on the Wa. State Masters Admin. test. I have been reading all the great info on this site as well as I study in Mike's 02
elect calc book. I been having a hard time finding any classes on this test do you guys recomend that ? or is the book enough?
also what about the RCW and WAC questions
are they easy enough just to look up as Im being tested? Is there any way to get examples of the qusstions asked? Thanks
you guys for any help you send my way. :eek:

resistance

Re: Wa. State Exam Questions

I'm sitting here laughing for some odd reason. :p

I've passed the first two sections with no problem(with very high scores) :cool: . But the DLC is another story!! :mad: . Anyway, make sure you have an updated WAC, RCW booklet--when you get to the Adminstration (RCW, WAC) and theory part of the test, this is what it will be on. So you will need the booklets! They will ask questions related to electrical theory--what questions is anybodies guess. Just bring your ugly's book, and know your basic ohms calculations. Go to: www.Lni.Wa.gov for exam information.

The DLC is what everyone is having a problem with. I haven't found a book (Nor do I plan to buy any others) that will address the test you will be taking. For some reason, the WA State DLC section is a lot different from what I've studied. Ask many questions, and read what others have already posted on the exam. Trust me! I wouldn't take the test unless I was absolutly sure I could pass atleast two sections out of three.

Now, I've heard that Mike Holts Book is pretty good, so you may have a better insight on what you need to know. But be prepared, because the DLC section is tricky. It's no simple roll in the park! This test (The DLC section) is designed to be failed--in my opinion. Yet, Study your Mike Holt book--along with examples in your NEC annex section, and then ask alot of questions.

resistance

To add: They do have a class you can take, but I would try and study on my own first. The class is about $500. Yet, my instructor (CITC)--for a WAC and RCW class--told me that out of 10 students who took the class, only 3 passed the DLC section of the test the first time. He also said, he believes the test was written poorly. Although I agree with what he said about the the DLC section of the test being written poorly--this didn't certify him as being the best cookie on the block! What a waste of money!

Yikes! Now I know why you are laughing. I have a
cousin that lives in Maui he sits on the beach
alot and loves watching people who just arrived
to the island. They walk out into the water like
its going to be fun to swim then the big wave comes in, flattens,thrashes them and washes them up on the
beach leaving them wet, sandy and very stupid looking. Thanks for the tips, now I know what is
supposed to happen, surf up!

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I also took the CITC course. I wasn?t thrilled about the instructional skills of the person who taught that particular class. He knew his electrical installation stuff, and did a nice job of helping me with code questions. But it was clear to me that he put no thought at all into the theory and calculations sections. I cannot recommend that class, on the basis of my experiences. But a different instruction teaching from the same syllabus might make the course worthwhile. I did not care about the cost of the class, because my employer paid for it.

I will admit that I failed the Safety and Administration portion of the WA Administrator test, the first time around. But that was, in part, because I had an out-of-date set of reference materials. I passed the second attempt. So be sure to go to a local L&I office, and but the current set. It was free, when I took the class, but costs $5.00 now.

By the way, what does ?DLC? mean?
?Design Load Calculations??
?Devious Laws and Codes??
?Dummy?s Last Chance??

Thanks for the help Charlie, I think I will just
keep on studying and take the test next week, It
will be like a class right?
Thanks again.

Oh I forgot to mention the "DLC"
I think it has to be Dummies Last Chance
The funny thing is I actually dint know
what it meant, now I now and I are smart.

newinbiz

I took the CITC course and passed all parts of the exam with no problem. You'll get out of the course what you want to put into it

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by newinbiz:You'll get out of the course what you want to put into it
I have taught a large number of classes in my day, and I think this falls short of telling the whole story. I'll bet the current gang of professional instructors will back me up on the following statement:
You'll get out of the course what you want to put into it, but you may be limited by what the Instructor is capable of putting into it, and is willing to put into it.
The most effective combination is a skilled instructor and a willing student. Regrettably, any one of us can supply no more than half of that combination.

resistance

Newinbiz--

What you stated doesn't apply to me! Yet, I'm sure many aren't paying $500.00 just for the fun of it. I find your statement to fall short of the truth--seeing that most are paying for something to get something. I see no reason why someone would pay any amount of money, and not want something back. I believe it's the instructors who are lacking. (Note: This does not mean all situations are the same--speaking in defense of instructors.)

[ April 22, 2005, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: resistance ]

RRich

I am very happy to have found this resource. I have just taken the WA State low voltage administrators exam. Though I passed the test, I am still angry (there, I said it!) about the Theory section. In preparation, I read the WAC and RCW books and in them found examples of things that were to be covered in the test. Though included in the list were supposed to be questions regarding safety of general public, there was not one question on safety at all!
There were however questions on service drop clearances, pole to building; power generated on 5 equal secondary services of a 1500 volt primary; ampacity of (5)75 miilihenry coils in parallel; and a couple of other questions of that nature.
My beef? Where were the questions pertaining to anything I could actually work on or supervise? Since the 09 license does not cover working on line voltage, why should those questions even be on the test? I would sub out any of that work anyway.
Who created the test? There was not one low voltage question pertainent to telecom work.
I'd like to ask the test creator a few questions, like what is created by the tertiary coil in a type 45 ringer? What is the effect of reversed polarity on a 4 wire line cord on a Digital KSU? What is the maximum lenght of category 5e cable before a hub is required? or the minimum radius of a data cable corner. How long is a duck! You know, things that actually apply in the real world.
Thanks for letting me vent. Looking forward to more pleasant topics. Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.