Wa-Admin Test Duplex standard and opt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeit

I am confused,to say the least.I have had a bear of time trying to find clear direction in the code for doing load calcs on duplexs.I have passed the first two sections wa state admin exam general elec and keep getting hung up on the duplex standard and optional calcs.Can anyone help?Thanks so much!

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Wa-Admin Test Duplex standard and opt?

I am not sure I understand the nature of your concern. But let me point out two things, and see if this helps:
</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you are looking at a service to both sides of the duplex, then you count everything as though it were a single building. For example, take credit for the total square footage, for two laundry circuits, and for four Small Appliance circuits, when you use the demand factors in Table 220.11. Take credit for two ranges, when you use the demand factors in Table 220.19. This will reduce the calculated size of your service.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you are looking at separate services, or are looking at separate feeders from a central meter to each of the two sides of the duplex, then you treat each unit as if the other unit did not exist.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

kw

I think the answer you are looking for is to perform the standard multifamily calc for the duplex and for the optional you calculate the duplex using three units instead of two for the derating factor. In the real world you would then then use the smaller of the two calculations. I, like you am also trying to pass the calc portion of the test. It seems as though they want to discourage electricians from being master electricians, general administrators in the Great State of Washington. If anyone has had a reference text help them get through the calc portion of the exam I'd appriciate knowing what it is. Thanks

davenoiz

Well, at least i'm not the only one having problems. Going to take the test for the 4th time. I never checked the forums like this so i've just gone it on my own. ....take the test, fail.... by new book, study, fail, etc. if anyones interested i can list the questions i've encountered so far.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Do you have the MIke Holt master electrician exam prep book? I arranged for Mike Holt to donate his entire 1999 test bank to L&I some years ago. Many of the questions will be the same. the exam prep book is about $50 and for about $75 you can get simulated exam.

snapco

I have taken this test and also failed the calc portion- I am retaking the Admin test after being a WA Admin for 20 years (forgot to renew), I have read and purchased everything Mike Holt has on calc's and I can tell you it helped considerable, but it does not cover a couple of area's that are on the WA Admin test. The other problem that I have talked to the state about, at least let you know (even at a fee if need be) which ones you missed.

traderx

Pipeit... I just used the method that Charie b states to use for the duplex. I have a duplex question at http://www.mikeholt.com/cgi-bin/codeforum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=000311#000006 that was on the test.

After using charie b method, it came out correct, take a look at the above post and I hope it helps you out. It's one of those things where you had to really read the question right... the question in the above post never 'asks' for the duplex as 2 seperate units.

Status
Not open for further replies.