Voltage testing

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I have lots to learn about theory , but what your saying is since the neutral and ground are bounded they are at the same point and need to points to reference voltage right ? Thanks again
Many electricians treat 'ground' as their primary reference point. Many also treat neutral and ground as being the same point even though that is true only at their common point. Many electricians have experienced the thrill of opening a neutral connection on a multi-wire or a mis-wired branch circuit even though the line-ground voltage was zero.
I always measure the N-G voltage as part of troubleshooting and when verifying de-energized.

Yes you need two points to measure a voltage. These points may vary for each measurement, so it is a good idea to mention which ones you used along with the results.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Just want to make sure the ground is not live b4 working on it , I know in most cases its not but you never know
Also reference your question to my post. Current flows “you get shocked” when there is a difference in voltage potential between two conductive things you are touching. As such, if I test the ground to the neutral and read 0 I won’t get shocked there. Between the ground and a metal outlet box 0 no shock. Between the found and a reachable metal enclosure or wet concrete and no shock. If nothing is reachable, then also no shock. The last is true even if there is system voltage on the ground. This might help. Get really simple. An electron has to have a path from the source (one side of the utility transformer, or for our purposes a hot wire at the service) across wires metal enclosures etc. Through the load or your body, then back to the source on another path. Whether that path is another phase hot, the neutral, or an unintended path like through you to wet shoes to a puddle, to the earth, to the ground rod, to the neutral ground bond, then along the neutral back to the transformer.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I haven't seen those. Link?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The best way to detect for 'hot' relative to the rest of the world is with a non-contact voltage tester.

I like the kind with dual voltage (i.e., sensitivity) ranges.
But never trust the results of that type of voltage indicator. The instructions form every manufacturer tell you that.