voltage meter question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rudy.v

I am taking a practice test and I cam across this question. First let me clarify the question: a series circuit with 30 volts source, load #1 is 5 ohms, load # 2 is 7.5 ohms load # 3 is 10 ohms. Here is the question: if a voltmeter is placed on load # 2 what is the reading. Here is what I came up with, voltage source is 30, total resistance is 22.5 ohms,amps 1.33, after doing the calculations for load # 2 I figered the voltage to be 9.98 or rounding to 10 does this sound right?

bphgravity

Re: voltage meter question

Looks Good! 7.5 x 1.33 = 9.975-volts :D

p.s. watch out for the common trick question that will give the same values but tell you the load is open. In that case, the reading would be line voltage! just for your information. ;)

[ April 16, 2003, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: bphgravity ]

physis

Depending on what order I do the calculations in with this cheap office people calculator I'm using, it says 9.9999997.

Rudy-V I'm brushing up myself because i'm going to be facing some tests soon. Can you make any recommendations on study material? :(

rudy.v

Originally posted by physis:
Depending on what order I do the calculations in with this cheap office people calculator I'm using, it says 9.9999997.

Rudy-V I'm brushing up myself because i'm going to be facing some tests soon. Can you make any recommendations on study material? :(
Well I have found that the material that Mike Holt puts out is very helpful, I assume you are already in the electrical trade so I guess you have a copy of the NEC, Most tests I have been told deal with theory, code and calculations.I have purchased publications from Mike Holt namely the journeyman simulated exam & electricial exam preparation, these two items are very helpful, if you can I would get these two books. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.