Status
Not open for further replies.

HomeElectric

New User
Occupation
Apprentice
Hi Everyone,

Background:
I am in the process of installing siding on my home. Currently I am removign the old siding from one side and I'm trying to identify wire locations so I can take extra precautions when nailing in those areas (nails are penetrating 3/4" into the stud).

The issue: I used my low voltage detector and noticed I was getting a slight beep on some exposed nails and on the foil-backed insulation in one area. I used a multimeter and got a reading of 3V on the nails and 10V on the foil insulation. When I turn two breakers off, the voltage reading goes away. I'm thinking a nail may have hit a wire nearby and voltage is traveling through the foil backed insulation or maybe there has been voltage leaking to this wall for years since I haven't done any work on this side of the house yet.

I'm at a loss of where to begin trouble shooting this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have a seasoned electrician coming next week to help me troubleshoot, but I'd like to have a better idea of what is going on and if I should open walls beforehand. Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This site is designed for:
  • Electrical Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
This NEC® Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Knowledge and the practical application of the National Electrical Code is an essential part of all electrical installations. If it's important for you to understand the National Electrical Code, then look no further.

To better help us serve you, please be sure to update your account details with your occupation field and location if you have not done so already. You can access your account details by clicking on your account name at the top right of the page when on the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.