Utility Creating High Service Ground vs. Earth Ground potential

gar

Occupation
EE
230505-2003 EDT

cmdr_striker:

In my yard I have one independent 10 ft ground rod fully driven in the earth about 30 ft from my water supply line.

If I connect 120 V to this independent rod I see a current of about 4 to 6 A from memory. Thus, a resistance of about 20 ohms. Voltage in the earth as I move away from the rod drops fairly quickly.

If I do not inject current into my yard voltage between two screw drivers at about 12 ft is in the less than 1 V range.

I suggest you do some voltage measurements using the about 10 to 12 ft spacing between the probes. Do this at various positions in your yard, and at different angles. Report back on your results.

cmdr_striker

Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Okay first thank you to all for your contributions. Ultimately it ended up being the neighbors faulty wiring to a submersible well pump. Pump circuit was raising groundwater potential that was coming out as a higher 20-25 V on the grounding rods around both houses and 10-15 V down the road 1/2 mile. Resulted in about 100 mA current on my GEC and 200 mA current on his. Breaker is now safely open and pump is getting pulled.

Thank you all for the hlep. Winnie for the suggestion of external factors (electric fence, radio tower, etc.) and to Gar for the suggestion to monitor GEC current.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Glad a solution was found. Also thanks for coming back with an update, it helps everyone learn.

I admit I jumped to far flung external problems, when investigation of the neighbor's property should have been higher on the list.

Jon