Used Dust Collector Contactor Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

UtahWireNut

New User
Occupation
Content Creator, Avid DIYer
I purchased an Oneida 3 hp 240v dust collector for my wood shop about a year ago but wasn't able to put it in the shop until yesterday. It's been outside under a tarp but the tarp ripped for a while before I noticed so there has almost definitely been some moisture exposure. When I plugged it in yesterday after moving it into the shop (and after confirming that there was no moisture anywhere), and hit the green power button, I got a loud hum/buzz sound until I quickly turned it off again. You can see movement in the contactor but I'm not sure what that means. I'm an avid DIYer but having a contactor is new to me so I'm not sure how this works. I did test the reset button and I also confirmed that around 240v were getting to the contactor and the overload relay beneath it (244v, actually). Do I need to replace the contactor or is there another issue?
Thanks in advance for any input here!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The forum rules do not allow us to assist in DIY projects.

This site is designed for:

• Electrical Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
* This NEC� Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Knowledge and the practical application of the National Electrical Code is an essential part of all electrical installations. If it's important for you to understand the National Electrical Code, then look no further.

Status
Not open for further replies.