use of wood in an enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffj

Recently I encountered a prior installation that had used a metal enclosure with a plywood backing backing plate to mount 480 volt lighting contacters. The use of plywood does not seem right,but I am unable to find code requirement.Can you help? Thanks!

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: use of wood in an enclosure

This is more of a listing issue per 110.3(B), however the plywood is flammable, and can mildew. Its not a professional installation, I have installed and looked at a lot of control panels, plywood is not used.

Is this required to be a listed control panel, perhaps a UL 508 Industrial Control Panel? Ths AHJ can reject this or accept it, however. But to me the lighting contactors won't be securely fastened into the wood. Also see what the listing instructions for the contactors require for mounting. There may need to be heat dissapation and the wood can't provide it.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

I recently looked in the electrical service room for a commercial mall type building. One of the enclosures had a small square hole in the front (it looked like an enclosure for a CT meter). Through the hole, I could see a standard socket type meter. It was mounted on a piece of plywood screwed to the back of the case!! And this enclosure had the power companies seal on it!! That's the last I expected from the power company.

STeve

bennie

Esteemed Member

I believe Jeff is asking if it is OK to have plywood on the inside of a metal enclosure.

I just noticed I have broke the 3000 post barrier.

Please don't tell me to "get a life" :(

[ April 14, 2004, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: bennie ]

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Congrats Bennie. I failed to notice Bennie2 had been replaced. I see from the member stats that you are the top poster. Too bad the member stats don't reflect how much everyone here values your
opinions.

Steve

bphgravity

Wood is flammable, but is not conductive.
Metal is conductive, but not flammable.
What is the lesser of two evils? Plastic?

bennie

Esteemed Member

Bryan: Long time no see.

Unfortunately the best material for fire proofing is illegal now days, namely "asbestos".

I understand there is many cases of illness from breathing asbestos fibres, but how many deaths from fires that asbestos may have prevented?

I have read reports that outlawing asbestos was a bad decision. Firm rules for handling and processing should have been adopted instead of completely eliminating the material.

charlie

Not only is the 3/4" plywood an accepted practice with some electric utilities, IPL still issues that type meter cabinets. We use them for services over 400 amperes through 1200 amperes. As far as I know, all of the services we have in that range have outside mounted CT and PT cabinets with plywood backing inside a fully enclosed steel cabinet. :D

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Did a SFR high end home a few years ago.The poco`s engineer dictated what meter to be used on 600 amp service.He came and told me to get a K-5 base and gave me a #.As it turned out there was 3 phase in this area and several homes had it hooked up along time ago.No longer,so the service is built the huge meter base ,a trough, 3 200 amp wp disc`s. Now here comes the poco, thats wrong We can only hook up single phase to a sfr.They gave us bolt in CT`S and wanted a 3/4 plywood base in the meter base now to be used as a ct cabinet.The inspector questioned it and I said it was what they the poco wanted so it passed.i wonder about that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.