Use of license numbers for other business?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a project I was working on, a consultant was brought in to look at some of the piping work done by another contractor (not us). I was given one of his business cards.
He has his CGC license number on the card (State Certified General Contractor). His business card says he does project management, construction supervision and inspections. Ok.

I looked him up the DBPR site and his license is attached to a whole different company, a construction company.

So, my question is this: If your using your license to qualify a company (like he is with the Construction company) is it right and/or legal to, in effect, advertise that number on a business card for another business?

I don't want to get anyone in trouble, but as an EC holder myself, these things concern me.

In the state of Florida you can only qualify one business with your license without going before the board.
You can only pull a permit under the business name your license is attached to, unless you pull one as a homeowner (which only works for your house), right?

So, if you pull a permit for work that is being done by someone other than the company your license is attached to....well, it's my understanding that's illegal.

I think the same restrictions apply when "advertising" using your license number for a business your license isn't attached to (i.e. either the primary or secondary qualifier).

I believe other states are very similar.

Maybe consulting would be different as you really don't need a license to "consult" depending on what you claim you can do.

Comments? Opinions? Right? Wrong?

stud696981

Re: Use of license numbers for other business?

Sparky,

Here in Michigan that wouldn't fly for electrical work or other certain skilled trades. However, I have seen in other types of general contracting where sub-contractors work off of someone else's license. From what I have been told the person that actually holds the license has to accept responsibility for any problems, violations, etc. For example I have seen this done with roofing contractors around here.

Now I can tell you this much, if I was calling a contractor to do a job, I would only go with the actual license holder, I'm not going to use some sub like this and then have to go after a third party when I have problems.....of course the general public doesn't usually think of this.

So, I have an EC license which is "attached" to the business I work for. I am a qualifyer. Now is it right if I go create another business on the side and print business cards that have my EC number on them, even though my license is in no way attached to that business? Just doesn't sound right. Sounds like misrepresentation. If someone hired you DBA the second business, they think they are getting an EC, but they are not. Not legally anyway.

stud696981

No that wouldn't be right and wouldn't fly for certain skilled trades like this where I live.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

It's not uncommon for people to form a subsidiary or a division of a company with a different name.

It's mostly a marketing gimmick.

I would not be all that concerned about whther the guy is technically in violation of some obscure rule or not.

It's even possible that the number on the card is a typo.

Why is our first thought always that someone is doing something illegal, immoral, unethical, ...?

[ May 19, 2005, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: petersonra ]

Peter,

Why have any licensing or laws if we aren't required to follow the rules?

I'm not looking to "report" anybody, but it did raise some questions in my mind.

Like, now that we are talking about it, is it ok to pull a permit for someone even when the company you qualify isn't the one doing the work? I know this happens, but is it really ok to do?

[ May 19, 2005, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: Sparky Mike ]

laidman

In Ohio the person is licensed not the company. I have notified cities that I had two companies one commercial and one resi. there was no problem obtaining permits as I was personaly responsible for the work of both companies. But I would never take a permit for someone under their name with my license.

hardworkingstiff

In North Carolina, you may only qualify one business with your credentials (PERIOD!). It is a hard and fast rule that the state enforces.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

I posted this on ECN today.

The wording in N.C. is as follows.
0301. LISTED QUALIFIED INDIVIDUAL

A listed qualified individual cannot be "regularly on active duty", as the term is used in G.S. 87-43, during the hours when he has committed himself to work for an employer other than the employers on whose license he is the listed qualified individual. Therefore, no electrical contracting work can be done under a license during the hours its listed qualified individual has committed himself to duty as an employee in other employment.

This would mean that during the hours he was working as a consultant, (or even flipping burgers) his employees would not be allowed to work under his license.

Statutory Authority G.S. 87-42; 87-43;
Eff. October 1, 1988; Amended Eff. February 1, 1990.
Roger

[ May 19, 2005, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

Status
Not open for further replies.