URD ok for outside of weather head ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
200 amp new service for a small office blg (36X36') A small small town power company, says ok to use URD. (I'm coming underground then up their new pole in pvc with weather head.)
Is URD insulation sunlight resistant ? Thank you

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
200 amp new service for a small office blg (36X36') A small small town power company, says ok to use URD. (I'm coming underground then up their new pole in pvc with weather head.)
Is URD insulation sunlight resistant ? Thank you
Look on the cable. If it is sunlight resistant, it will be printed on the cable.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Southwire's "URD" is not marked sunlight resistant and does not appear to be listed as such. Not relevant as URD is not a recognized NEC cable.
Likely it is also marked USE and/or RHW in which case it is sunlight resistant and an accepted NEC conductor. You need to check the markings.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
To be on the safe side I would check your manufacturer cut sheet. I see some URD/USE that is not shown as sunlight resistant and some that is.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Southwire® Type RHH or RHW-2 or USE-2 copper conductors are annealed (soft) copper. Insulation is an abrasion, moisture, heat, and sunlight resistant black crosslinked polyethylene (XLP). An optional CT rated product is available upon request for sizes 1/0 and larger.
I guess the XLP description answers my question. (mine is AL instead of copper, but....)

kwired

Electron manager
Southwire® Type RHH or RHW-2 or USE-2 copper conductors are annealed (soft) copper. Insulation is an abrasion, moisture, heat, and sunlight resistant black crosslinked polyethylene (XLP). An optional CT rated product is available upon request for sizes 1/0 and larger.
I guess the XLP description answers my question. (mine is AL instead of copper, but....)
XLP (sometimes XLPE) is an abbreviation for cross linked polyethylene - the insulation material composition. I think it has some natural sunlight resistance though with no further product enhancements.

Status
Not open for further replies.