Upgrading Service to 200 Amp. Need Ground Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcor635

I am upgrading my electrical service to 200AMP from 100 service. The power company told me I need to run 2ot copper for 195 Amps and a new ufer ground. I have tried to drive a 1/2" gound rod into the earth, but I cannot get it further than 4 feet in. I tried a second rod, thinking that I hit a rock, and same thing. I've tried the water and such, but cannot get it further in. I now have 2 rods 4 feet in the ground and 4 feet out. I have a 60lb jack hammer with a driver, but it will not go any further. What are my options?

[ November 16, 2005, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: xcor635 ]

sheldon_ace

Re: Upgrading Service to 200 Amp. Need Ground Help

Originally posted by xcor635:
I am upgrading my electrical service to 200AMP from 100 service. The power company told me I need to run 2ot copper for 195 Amps and a new ufer ground. I have tried to drive a 1/2" gound rod into the earth, but I cannot get it further than 4 feet in. I tried a second rod, thinking that I hit a rock, and same thing. I've tried the water and such, but cannot get it further in. I now have 2 rods 4 feet in the ground and 4 feet out. I have a 60lb jack hammer with a driver, but it will not go any further. What are my options?
Please call a qualified electrician, as we cannot give information to a do it yourselfer. A qualified electrician will know exactly what to do.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

I'll take pity on the guy for two reasons: One, I respect the fact that he hasn't hacked it off, and called four feet sufficient.

Two, I've never seen anyone injured from an improperly driven ground rod. :p

250.53(G) Rod and Pipe Electrodes. The electrode shall be installed such that at least 2.44 m (8 ft) of length is in contact with the soil. It shall be driven to a depth of not less than 2.44 m (8 ft) except that, where rock bottom is encountered, the electrode shall be driven at an oblique angle not to exceed 45 degrees from the vertical or, where rock bottom is encountered at an angle up to 45 degrees, the electrode shall be permitted to be buried in a trench that is at least 750 mm (30 in.) deep. The upper end of the electrode shall be flush with or below ground level unless the above-ground end and the grounding electrode conductor attachment are protected against physical damage as specified in

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Xcor, it could be that you drove the rods too close to the house and are hitting the footing. Try coming out about a foot.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

sheldon_ace is right. I am closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.