Ungrounded GFCIs', will they work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Re: Ungrounded GFCIs', will they work?

Yes, it's proper to put GFCI receptacles on a 2-wire circuit. The GFCI receptacle can not have any downstream load if it's in a 2-wire circuit. The GFCI receptacle must be labeled GFCI & ungrounded.

GFCI's do wear out. If the button won't trip it then it's time for a replacement.

I'll cite code when I get a code book! It's coming soon!

[ Spell check compliments of: ieSpell-- the spell checker for electrical forums & other emporiums of knowledge ]

gary

Occupation
Retired electrical contractor / general contractor

AWWT, I believe you are mistaken when you say that down stream loads are not permitted on two-wire GFCI's.

406.3(D)(3)(c) A nongrounding-type receptacle(s) shall be permitted to be replaced with a grounding-type receptacle(s)where supplied through a ground-fault circuit interrupter.
Grounding-type receptacles supplied through the groundfault circuit interrupter shall be marked ?GFCI Protected? and ?No Equipment Ground.? An equipment grounding conductor shall not be connected between the grounding type
receptacles.

[ September 02, 2003, 02:46 AM: Message edited by: gary ]

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Just remember that there is a list of equipement in 250.114 that cannot be used on a two wire circuit even if GCFI protected. 250.114(3) is the liste for residential occupancies.
Don

big jim

Knob and tube may still be legal but a home inspector is not a code inspector. He is working for the client and it is his job to report problems to that client. I have been told that many companies will not write new insurance on a home with active K&T. It becomes the client's problem, the inspector is just doing a quality job by noting potential problems.

G

The inspector should be careful to note that certain items are not NEC violations, but that they may have a negative impact. The customer should not be alarmed into thinking that their home in NEC violation or is a fire or safety hazard. Each "defect" should be qualified by its impact.

To unnecessarily alarm a client is unprofessional and unethical. Call a spade a spade and nothing more and nothing less.

../Wayne

cselectric

While I agree with you Wayne, regarding not alarming the customer, have to concede Inspector guys point here. I've worked a few houses where are entire scope was to eliminate the K&T. Yes, NEC allows it to remain. But the insurance underwriters are not bound to follow NEC to the letter. They can pretty much demand anything they like and you can either comply or not get insurance. I know for a fact that some of the insurance carriers won't cover a home with in service K&T, as I've been called in to eliminate it (talk about a fun job :D ) Ultimately, calling a spade a spade in this case amounts to saying "here is my report, these items must be repaired per insurance company regulations."

Status
Not open for further replies.