under water splice

Status
Not open for further replies.

tadavidson

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
A customer wants a lighting fixture installed in in his gold fish pond at the fountain. The fixture came (he ordered) with a six foot cord. the nearest outlet is 20 feet away. He wants me to cut the factory cord and splice Type TC cable to it. He has some type tape, he says he has used in this same type application before and has lasted for years. I would think that all splices must be made within an enclosure, Lets here from some one with a code book.

stars13bars2

Re: under water splice

Will this help???
NEC 680.51(E)
The maximum length of exposed cord in the fountain shall be limited to 3.0 m (10 ft).

luke warmwater

110.14(B) : conductors shall be spliced with devices identified for the use...

I doubt that tape meets this requirement.

336.10 and 336.12 Tray Cable: uses permitted and not

I don't want my post to sound rude, but I take it you're not an electrical contractor?
If you are, how do feel about taking on the liability of doing the job in this way?

tadavidson

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Thanks for the posts Gentlemen-- Yes, Luke,I am a test liscenced (1997), Georgia, Class II unrestricted contractor. I did not have my code book handy,but did have computer access when I made the post. I have been in project management of security systems for the past 6 years and sorry to say have gotten rusty on NEC. I knew I wouldn't make the spice by taping and dropping back into the water but I probably would have considered using a water tight j box, the tape and nonmetallic conduit and exceeding the three meter limit. Thanks again.

[ June 10, 2004, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: tadavidson ]

jimwalker

I do believe an epoxy type splice would work but check on its listing first.He probably is talking about rubber tape and maybe some liquid tape but not sue they would meet code without at least a box

Status
Not open for further replies.