Ul listed fuse substitutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.P.

This may come in handy someday.
I printed it out and hand it to every customer at the end of the job.

Your welcome:)

Attachments

• fuses.jpg
    fuses.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
I'ma waitin' to hear from folks with some 'real life' fusing current measurements on an 11 mm wrench.

Only have direct experience with 7/16" wrenches <G>
Them there 11 mm wrenches don't quite fit mosta my USA type bolts, don't quite fit over the head - maybe that why they get used for fuses ?

kwired

Electron manager
I'ma waitin' to hear from folks with some 'real life' fusing current measurements on an 11 mm wrench.

Only have direct experience with 7/16" wrenches <G>
Them there 11 mm wrenches don't quite fit mosta my USA type bolts, don't quite fit over the head - maybe that why they get used for fuses ?
7/16 wrench fits NEMA standard devices, the 11MM fits IEC standard devices, they are not interchangeable:happyyes:

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
many don't trust God anymore, and the coins have less copper then they used to as well so their fuse rating has changed:)
Prior to 1982, pennies were 95% copper, 5% zinc (tin was removed in 1962). In 1982 they switched to 97.5% zinc, 2.5% copper, essentially copper plated zinc.

Zinc is only 27% of the conductivity of copper, so that means higher resistance, which means at the same amount of current through it, more watts lost and higher heat, but melts at a temperature 70% lower than copper. That means you can't put even a small fraction of the amount of current through a new penny fuse as our fathers could with an old penny fuse. That probably explains why it is no longer on the chart...

Work is a tad slow today and I'm at home nursing a sprained knee...

Last edited:

fmtjfw

Prior to 1982, pennies were 95% copper, 5% zinc (tin was removed in 1962). In 1982 they switched to 97.5% zinc, 2.5% copper, essentially copper plated zinc.

Zinc is only 27% of the conductivity of copper, so that means higher resistance, which means at the same amount of current through it, more watts lost and higher heat, but melts at a temperature 70% lower than copper. That means you can't put even a small fraction of the amount of current through a new penny fuse as our fathers could with an old penny fuse. That probably explains why it is no longer on the chart...

Well, that's progress -- new pennies are safer!

Jon456

I believe that customers should always get a audible & visual indication anytime a fuse blows:

cartridges.jpg

This set will cover any application, from residential to industrial.

;)

kwired

Electron manager
I believe that customers should always get a audible & visual indication anytime a fuse blows:

cartridges.jpg

This set will cover any application, from residential to industrial.

;)
But when you go over 60 amps the ends of fuses typically are blade type instead of round, and I don't think any of those are long enough to fit 60 amp 600 volt fuseholders either:ashamed1:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
But when you go over 60 amps the ends of fuses typically are blade type instead of round, and I don't think any of those are long enough to fit 60 amp 600 volt fuseholders either:ashamed1:
You had to go rain on my parade. :( I was just starting to work on a discussion of the advantages of belt-fed versus magazine-fed fuses.

HoosierSparky

Senior Plans Examiner, MEP
Occupation
Senior Plans Examiner

When I worked in a steel mill, we used a 2/0 crimp lug as a replacement for 30amp 250v fuses on crane control boards. We called it "doing the smoke test". We would just follow the smoking wire to the bad contactor, then pull the switch. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.