ufer question for small residential addition

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwm1752

Man guys, I didn't realize my post would create such a stir! :) To clarify, there will be a rebar system in the footing of the new small addition. It hasn't been installed yet as I speak. It would certainly be possible to run a ground from the panel to this new rebar and connect it at an accessible point in the new crawlspace, and may not be a bad idea. However the building inspector in Centennial, CO, where the house is, somehow arrived at the conclusion that as long as the service meets the Codes that were in existence at the time the house was built, and has 2 grounding methods (it has ground rods & water service grounds), then it doesn't need to bond to the new rebar. If we were installing a new service on the house (upgrade) then we would need to bond to the rebar.

Anyway it was quite a discussion you've had here, and had a lot of good points brought out. We'll stick with the AHJ recommendation.

I would agree if one of the electrodes existing is a UFER -- the inspectors are provided by a company called Safe-built from what I understand, they are an independent inspecting contractor for Centennial, Co and other entities whom needs them and I believe not an "employee" of the jurisdiction. FYI

Status
Not open for further replies.