Type C led install

Krusscher

Occupation
Electrician
So I have never replaced a ballast with a driver and I am trying to see what that would look like for some hard to get to ball lights with CFL lamps in them. They are 2 lamp FT36 lamps with a 0-10v dimmable ballast. I can't seem to find any type C lamps for this set up but maybe I am not looking in the right places. Anyone ever do anything like this?

Krusscher

Occupation
Electrician
What is a type C lamp?
Why not replace the luminaire and then it’s good for 20 years
its where you install a external LED driver and install LED lamps with no drivers on them.
The fixtures are installed inside suspended globes that are difficult to get to so ideally I would like them to last longer. As it is now they only last a year then I have to get the lift in there to replace most of them.

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights
Type A and C are semantics difference. A is a retrofit install to operate lamps on a ballast designed for legacy fluorescent lamp that originally populated the socket while C is a "paired system". I like to call it "AC adapter system" in which you have to use the brick that ships with the install kit.

Several manufacturers have come up with Type C. If you look in the past several years of catalog, you'll see that they're short lived, fleeting products that come and go. For this reason, I wouldn't recommend it unless it's standardized output (i.e. 24v, 12v, 0.7A etc) You'll run into... what do you do when the power brick that came with your cordless vacuum fails situation when the ballast fails. Type C exists to harness maximize efficiency by matching lamp with a proprietary ballast.

Type B is integral ballast. CFL/household LED bulb. Base-up high wattage CFL (say dual 26W PL-C downlight), it is brutal on the ballast. So, you don't find 26W integral ballast CFLs in commercial downlights. The integral ballast (be it L.E.D. or CFL) often fail prematurely in these applications.
So, PL-C downlights use an external ballast away from the lamp heat.

To match PL-L 36W, you'll need 2,900 lumens initial output, ea. I see on bulbs.com lamps that work with the ballast or direct wire, but I see they're not the same output.

I think in your case, the best bet might be trying to fit a MH/mercury vapor retrofit bulb inside the globe if you're physically able to get cram it.