Two ground rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMahaney

Occupation
Electrician
I am doing a 100 amp service change out for a customer. They currently do not have a grounding electrode system. Typically I would install a ground rod and waterline ground going back to the first point of disconnect. In this home the water line enters the house in a spot that we would have to cut a lot of sheet rock in order to get a #6 from the panel to the water shut off.

My question is am I able to install two ground rods 6ft apart and still pass inspection?
if so or if not what code reference?

I was looking in 250.53 A2 I feel like the answers yes but I want to be 100% sure.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You need to use all electrodes that are present in the structure so if the water pipe qualifies as an electrode it must be used. 250.50

kwired

Electron manager
The code reference is 250.50. It says "All grounding electrodes......that are present......"

If you have a qualifying water pipe electrode you must use it, no exceptions. Water pipe electrodes also require supplemental electrodes so if no CEE or qualifying metal support members you likely driving rod(s) to supplement it anyway.

JMahaney

Occupation
Electrician
The code reference is 250.50. It says "All grounding electrodes......that are present......"

If you have a qualifying water pipe electrode you must use it, no exceptions. Water pipe electrodes also require supplemental electrodes so if no CEE or qualifying metal support members you likely driving rod(s) to supplement it anyway.
Ok awesome thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.