TV over Fireplace

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckylerado

I know that it looks great when the big TV is centered over the fireplace but is this working out for people? I would expect that the TV would be unhappy up there when the fire is going.

Has anyone had any problem with this?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't think that the heat is an issue. With my fireplace the wall above the firebox is slightly warmer than the rest of the room.

From the perspective of a videophile mounting a TV above the fireplace isn't a great choice. I've been fighting the wife over this for years. :)

user 100

I know that it looks great when the big TV is centered over the fireplace but is this working out for people? I would expect that the TV would be unhappy up there when the fire is going.

I believe one problem would be heat affecting the set, but if you were to do direct the draft away from the set, this is a non issue. Another thing is comfort-you would have to smart about height in relation to where you would be sitting-I will say that in some examples, my neck hurts just thinking about it.

tkb

I think having a TV over a fireplace is too high on the wall for comfortable watching.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems

Heat isn't an issue. I have candles on my mantle and the heat from the fireplace isn't enough to affect them.

kwired

Electron manager
Heat isn't an issue. I have candles on my mantle and the heat from the fireplace isn't enough to affect them.
Same here. If anything TV produces more heat in it's own vicinity then the fireplace puts there.

Ideally if you are burning a fire in there you want some air movement to circulate the heat throughout the room and even to the rest of the house.

luckylerado

Thanks for the input. The candles on the mantle is good evidence. As for height. How high is too high. Is there a desired angle? The space is 20' from the couch to the fireplace.

user 100

Thanks for the input. The candles on the mantle is good evidence. As for height. How high is too high. Is there a desired angle? The space is 20' from the couch to the fireplace.

20' may not be so bad from a head bending aspect, but it's still up to you dude. I've got a feeling your going to be moving that couch quite a bit until you get to that "spot".

jeremysterling

In our 1200 sf house, space is at a premium. I mounted a 46" TV over the fireplace mantle. Top of the mantle was 60". I cut in recept, coax and HDMI. Top of the tile surround of the fireplace is at 40". Bottom of the TV was at 64" AFF. I started watching TV standing up to avoid neck-ache.

I removed the mantle and lowered the TV over a foot to 50" AFF. The wife was concerned about melting the TV. As a compromise, I installed a 4" deep shelf at 47" AFF with cup hooks for Christmas stockings. I was still watching TV standing up.

I convinced the wife to put the TV back on its factory stand and place it on a "buffet" table next to the fireplace (bottom of TV at 37"). I placed a huge mirror over all the holes over the fireplace.

The couch is 11 feet away, and that is where I SIT to watch TV!

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
In our 1200 sf house, space is at a premium. I mounted a 46" TV over the fireplace mantle. Top of the mantle was 60". I cut in recept, coax and HDMI. Top of the tile surround of the fireplace is at 40". Bottom of the TV was at 64" AFF. I started watching TV standing up to avoid neck-ache.

I removed the mantle and lowered the TV over a foot to 50" AFF. The wife was concerned about melting the TV. As a compromise, I installed a 4" deep shelf at 47" AFF with cup hooks for Christmas stockings. I was still watching TV standing up.

I convinced the wife to put the TV back on its factory stand and place it on a "buffet" table next to the fireplace (bottom of TV at 37"). I placed a huge mirror over all the holes over the fireplace.

The couch is 11 feet away, and that is where I SIT to watch TV!
If the TV is near and out front of the fireplace, heat may be a factor. I lost a DVD player that way.

stickboy1375

IMG_2834.jpg

Not an issue at all, this is my personal setup, the height works just fine, I plan on moving up to the 75" tv in the near future... I always used a tilt mount to slightly tip the tv downward, but it's only a few degrees...

kwired

Electron manager
20' may not be so bad from a head bending aspect, but it's still up to you dude. I've got a feeling your going to be moving that couch quite a bit until you get to that "spot".
Optimal viewing distance or angle don't matter, wife wants the furniture where she thinks it looks best in our house.;)

I do have a TV over fireplace also. The fact it is up a little high is not a problem - I am usually in recliner and am not right up close to it when watching.

Back when I was a kid and even a young adult the old console type TV's were too low for viewing, especially when there was a coffee table between you and the TV or your little sister or your kids wanted to play on the floor in front of it.

user 100

Optimal viewing distance or angle don't matter, wife wants the furniture where she thinks it looks best in our house.;)

The other (and main) reason the op will be moving that couch around quite a bit until he gets to that optimal viewing angle.

kwired

Electron manager
The other (and main) reason the op will be moving that couch around quite a bit until he gets to that optimal viewing angle.
Does not mean he will ever achieve optimal distance or angle. And even if he does, it is subject to rearrangement at any time:)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The TV center should be at eye level when you're sitting down.

Where to mount your TV?
Ideally, the middle of your TV screen needs to be at about eye level while you're seated. You'll want to be comfortable while watching TV, and mounting it too high can result in neck strain. Plus, you'll probably see the best-looking picture when you view your TV head-on, rather than at an angle. If you opt for a higher placement, consider using a tilting wall mount to angle the TV down.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-UAFV4ihJkdf/learn/learningcenter/home/flatpanel_install.html

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I think the only time the TV should be above the fireplace is in a room that you do a lot of entertaining, but don't spend much time in otherwise. Having it there is great for a Super Bowl party where people are sort of milling around, eating, talking about the commercials.

Back when I was a kid and even a young adult the old console type TV's were too low for viewing, especially when there was a coffee table between you and the TV or your little sister or your kids wanted to play on the floor in front of it.

I had a bit of an epiphany a few years back when I thought about how often my mom told me not to sit so close to the TV when I was a kid. All these years I assumed she was worried it would ruin my eyes. Then I thought about how we sit a few feet away from our computer screen, sometimes for hours.

So I asked her about it and she said, "It's because we couldn't see the TV through your head."

stickboy1375

I have to rate this in the same category as ground up or ground down. :D

No correct answer only a matter of personal choice.

I concur, I've never had an issue with the center height being slightly elevated when seated, I watch a lot of moves and at 12' back and the chair reclined, its absolutely amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.