Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
triplex

triplex

It has always been my understanding that "triplex" as applied to the ACSR used by POCOs is a "covered" conductor and not an "insulated" conductor. As such, it is not recoginied by NEC Art 310 as an "insulated" conductor.

Kessler4130

USE is permitted underground in conduit or direct burial I believe, I really need to get a second code book for my office :(, it kills me browsing through all these informative threads and not having a code book handy for refrencing.

iwire

Staff member
hillbilly said:
Triplex is USE. It can be direct buried or run in conduit.
steve

Steve it must be regional terminology.

Here in my area USE is called USE,

When we say Triplex it is what the utility runs as overhead service drops and is not recognized as a conductor type by the NEC.

So does cesenergy have USE?

If it is USE it will say it on the conductors.

If it has no markings it is not USE and is not permitted by the NEC.

But.....

If this is a service lateral it may not be under the NEC it may be under the power company and in that case you could use whatever they tell you to.

JohnE

iwire said:
Steve it must be regional terminology.

Here in my area USE is called USE,

When we say Triplex it is what the utility runs as overhead service drops and is not recognized as a conductor type by the NEC.

I've heard many people around my area refer to USE as triplex. Also as URD. My spuulier refers to it as either sweetbriar, or stephens for either 4/0 use or 250. I have no idea where these names come from.

hillbilly

Ok let me try again. The Triplex that is sold around here is:
(3) single insulated (XLPE) aluminum conductors. AA-800 compact.
consisting of:
(2) 600V phase conductors and (1) neutral conductor (all cabled together)
Markings are USE-2 or RHH or RHW-2.
Around here if you're going to run a underground feed you ask for Triplex, or "quadplex" (4 insulated conductors). To be honest, I really don't know what the (POCO) service drop cable is called (technically) as I don't have anything to do with it. I do know that I can't use it because it's not marked.
steve

cesenergy

If I have a 575 foot run can I use a triplex with reduced neutral in a PVC Conduit or will the voltage drop be an issue for the neutral

hillbilly

cesenergy said:
If I have a 575 foot run can I use a triplex with reduced neutral in a PVC Conduit or will the voltage drop be an issue for the neutral

The voltage drop will be a issue for the entire run, neutral included.
I would calculate the voltage drop on all of the conductors just to be sure.
If most of the load is line to neutral or the line to neutral loads are mostly inductive, that smaller grounded (neutral) conductor supplied with the cable may not be big enough.
Give specifics and one of the resident scholars will help.
steve

cesenergy

Thanks for your help My calculated load is 97 Amps and 575 foot distance so I am looking at roughly a 4% voltage drop which is still within 10% which tends to cause problems. But the cost of three 250 XHHW versus 250 Triplex with reduced neutral is 1500.00 so its a tough call

haskindm

Where did you get the figure that 10% voltage drop is OK? The NEC recommendation (not requirement as it is in a FPN) is that voltage drop be no more than 3% on a feeder or 3% on a branch circuit and no more than 5% total.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Aren't these Service Conductors? If so, those have a typical voltage drop too, and the NEC doesn't mention that. It is usually the power company that determines what is acceptable. If you see the teeny wires the power company usually installs, you can have a significant voltage drop if you are using all of your service. My power company gave me 1/0 aluminum for a 110 foot service drop with a calculated service of 325 amps (would give about 12V drop if I ever hit 325 amps).

So this 97A calculated value is what -- your service calculation? If so, what is the calculated service neutral load? That is the value I'd look at for 120V voltage drop but also realize that you can only tolerate half the voltage drop for the 120V circuits as you can for the 240V circuits (and maintain the same % drop). If you have a few 240V only loads on your service, I'd go with the triplex. Even if not, odds are good that you wil have some balance on that neutral wire reducing its amp load.

Finally, a service calculation amp value will rarely ever be seen on the service conductors. That is why the power company uses such small conductors. So I would take that into consideration, and also take into consideration are there any feeders on this install or is it just a main and branch circuits? If no feeders, then I would perhaps allow myself more voltage drop on the service conductors knowing that feeder drops are 0.

Status
Not open for further replies.