Triplex for a pole light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kessler4130

Hello all,
This is my first of what will be many posts, and after reading through pages and pages over the last 2 days, it is clear you all know your stuff. To better aquaint myself I am an electrician from Maryland I took my masters test a few months ago and my license is currently being proccessed in Baltimore as we speak :p .

Anyhow, my question may be stupid and I cannot say I have done all the research on it that I should have because my code book is in the company truck. Here is the scenario, there is a 5" ridgid lightpole roughly 20 ft high, we are putting a set of lights on it "bullhorns", and it was previously an unlighted sign so it has no feed and/or switch leg. Personally I would cut the asphalt and run a conduit or UF to it myself, but an associate "the boss" has intentions to run triplex from the building of probably a 30ft span to the light. Now I know @ NEC it states that only service drop conductors can be connected to a service mast, and I seriously doubt there is any chance of us achieving the required height for the drip loop without even adding a mast to the building. But for the sake of arguement lets assume we do not need a mast. I will flip through my book in the morning and see what I can dig up but due to the lack of time I wanted to see what everyone thought about the situation and what they would/would not do.

As far as terminations, I have not seen the inside of the building, the roof, nor the lights, so I appologize for the lack of information.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Simple response: not all masts are service masts, so the restriction does not apply to all masts. Just don't add an outgoing line to the existing service mast; install another mast.

celtic

Exactly as Larry has described.

I have done this a few times on parking lot lighting.

Kessler4130

Thank you I appreciate it, I was just a little weary of doing something that did not seem practicle to me. Atleast I can go in there with peace of mind knowing it is proper.

Status
Not open for further replies.