Tricks to pulling feeder mc

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Got a job where we'll be pulling 250 4 conductor mc probably. What's the best tricks to feeding that above a drop ceiling without yanking out the grid.
Aprox 120 ft in occupied building with most of it being dead straight

Tugger with rope and pulleys

Just get 5 guys and git er done

Feed it through strategic 2 hole oversized straps then go back and finish it with correct size.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Having not done it, I envision using pulleys the cable will fit through for less friction.

Then unhook the pulleys one by one as you strap your way back, less redundant work.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Kinda like the POCOs do when pulling primaries through pulleys with rope.

You can use lengths of chain and S-hooks to make easily-adjustable hangers.

Pull the cable to its destination, and terminate it now if you have the time.

Then attach it one support or strap at a time until you reach the starting point.

There's virtually no waste, as you won't have cut the cable from the reel yet.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You will need pulleys or supports every 10-15' to keep the cable from dropping on to the grid as you pull the 120' length.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Ive done similar, had to do two parallel 250-4's for a 400 amp feeder once. A ton of pulleys are nice but most of us don't have more that a few. I've had pretty good luck with just using pieces of conduit and/or 2x4s to slide the cable over and keep it off the grid and from catching on it. A pulley will be nice where it enters the grid , but even there like a piece of 2" EMT, the cable will slide over pretty darn easily.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Ive done similar, had to do two parallel 250-4's for a 400 amp feeder once. A ton of pulleys are nice but most of us don't have more that a few. I've had pretty good luck with just using pieces of conduit and/or 2x4s to slide the cable over and keep it off the grid and from catching on it. A pulley will be nice where it enters the grid , but even there like a piece of 2" EMT, the cable will slide over pretty darn easily.
I could do that I've only got 1 pulley big enough for this size mc. Thanks