Tricks of the trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave81

I was wondering if anybody would want to share any of their tricks they have learned over the years in the industry that are time,money saving. Or just in general good ideas they have come up with. :D

apauling

Re: Tricks of the trade.

The only tricks that this retired electrician turned inspector can assume are not common are: in fishing long and double ended pulls, I drilled two holes, one to look down and one to fish (can face flash light into one and look down other) and in fishing into and from center dead spot where there is a change of direction, tape long run of unsnaggled monfilament (sp) to stiff fishing rod or whatever will take it to center spot; on fish end small hook that will pass holes is used to snag line and can pull whole run back this way. Then pull stiffer line until up to pull strength. This was cheaper than patching Victorian lath and plaster. The mono runs smooth and easy for the fish part.

paul

msd

Fishing with an old broken tape measure.

You know the drill......... that kink at about the 1 foot mark is about to cause big problems. It's only a matter of time until it breaks off and spools back up into the case.

Before it breaks and disappears forever, try this. Wrap electrical tape around the tape measure, covering about 3 inches of the rule behind the break. Neatly trim off where you just taped. The electrical tape keeps the rule from retracting into the case.

This is one of the best tools to fish insulated walls with. Cuts right thru the insulation, stays straight and wont wander in the wall, easy to keep against the sheetrock.

Works exceptionally well when fishing down existing walls to put in cut in boxes. Simple one man operation and works every time.

brian john

When working alone and fishing in walls, or if your hands are too large to fit in to old work cut outs to grasp the fish tape, use your measuring tape fold it in half forming a loop. Push the loop into the void, the tape will fill the void with the loop. Tape the free ends together, Now you can drop your fish tape down the wall, the tape "SHOULD" land in the loop formed by the measuring tape, pull the loop out and the fish tape with it. Well in theroy, anybody that fishes in walls knows not all is perfect.

kiss

When working on commercial installations with drop cielings that get removed or broken as you're working, put baby powder on your arms and neck before you start. This will prevent you from itching.

ca_c10

After working in attics or just with bat insulation, use vinegar to wipe down the areas you came in contact with(i.e. back of neck, inside elbows etc. etc.) The vinegar is acidic and eats the fiberglass particles away thus reducing the inevitable itching. Be sure and wash after the vinegar with soap and COLD water. Hot water opens the pores and lets the ugly right on in.

ray456

Always charge $50 bucks more than the service call was worth as even then you wasted your time.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Canadian, I second your question. :confused:

I mean, I'm in it to make money and some jobs do better than others, but there's an ethics problem with deliberatly over charging or taking advantage of someone.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.