Transformer rewire calculations- wye to delta

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnK

I have a three phase 15kVA transformer that is wired in a wye to wye configuration. The primary is expecting 115V L-N (199V L-L) and is rated to output 240V L-N (415V L-L) on the secondary. I was told by a major industrial power controller company that I could use their 240V L-L equipment on the output of this transformer only if I did not connect the neutral (on the secondary) to anything. This statement does not give me a warm fuzzy.

I was also wondering if there is a way to calculate what the output voltage would be if the secondary was re-wired to a delta configuration. I am happy to do the calcs myself if someone can point me in the right direction.

dahualin

What is the power requirement of the equipment? If it requires 240 volt single phase only, I don't think it is a problem to connect to the transformer that can provide 240 volt (L-N). If it requires 240/120 volt that means it needs 120 volt power also, the transformer will not work.

David

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Reconfigured to Delta would yield .58 times the voltage of the Wye configured secondary, i.e. 240 volts L-L.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Maybe I'm missing something, but if the secondary windings are 240v-Y line-to-neutral, you could just rewire them into a Delta configuration.

The only concern would be deciding whether to ground a phase. I would, unless the equipment supplied needs floating (ungrounded) Delta.

ShawnK

OK, I'll try to get all the answers in. The load is a liquid heater that can consume up to the full 15kVA. There is a power controller that modulates the power to the load through some kind of solid state relay. I don't think you could ground one of the phases or the controller would not function correctly.

The transformer appears to be a three phase bank, that is, there is available two conductors for each primay and secondary on each transformer in the bank, but all the transformers share a common core.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
don_resqcapt19 said:
I've never seen a three phase transformer that could be rewired to change
from wye to delta.

Aren't the primary and secondary connections to each of the three sections in a single 3-phase transformer accessible, and re-connectable?

iwire

Staff member
LarryFine said:
Aren't the primary and secondary connections to each of the three sections in a single 3-phase transformer accessible, and re-connectable?

Not in any that I have seen.

They are soldered or welded connections, not the kind of field modification that I would undertake. (Unless it was for my own house ;))

ShawnK

On my transformer, thankfully, all the transformer connections have soldered ring terminals attached, and the neutral connections (in the current Y config) are made with jumper that can be unbolted and rearranged. After checking out the link that cpal posted, I am pretty confident that I can reconfig the secondary as a delta and achieve the 240V L-L that is desired. I just had to draw it out and realize that a 240V secondary winding is not going to have the voltage across that winding change regardless of the configuration it is in. Then the differences between the Y and delta config become obvious.

Thanks for the help! And especially please correct me if I am making some bad assumptions. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.