Jr. EE
The current electrical service at the store is 200 AMP/208V/3P

Here is a list of circuits
12 Styling Chairs, which each requires 2 dedicated circuits = (12*2*1500)= 36kW
3 Hair Dryer Station with 1 dedicated circuit each = 4.5kW
3 Shampoo Station with 1 dedicated circuit each = 1.5kW
18kW Electric Hot Water Heater = 18kW
7.5 Ton RTU (60 AMP/208V/3P) = 21.6kW

What is the typical load do you show for a dedicated circuit for a styling station and hair dryer station?
I usually show 1500W for each and 500W for the Shampoo Station.

I got a total of 81.6 kW, which is about 226 AMP.

Is there a demand factor I can use for a Barber/Salon to reduce the electrical load of the Receptacles, Hot Water Heater or RTU?

BatmanisWatching1987

Occupation
Jr. EE
Here is what I was about to determine after reviewing article 220

I took all the receptacle load and added them up first (36+4.5+1.5=42kW)
Based on T220.44, 100% at 10kw and remainder at 50% = 26kW

Based on 220.50, I took the largest motor (RTU) and multiplied it by 125% = 27kW

Then I added all the loads up (26kW + 27kW + 18kW) = 71kW or 197 AMP.

kwired

Electron manager
7.5 Ton RTU (60 AMP/208V/3P) = 21.6kW

I think you are using too high of a value here, unless maybe it has resistance heat strips in the unit.

But it appears you likely took the MOCP of 60 amps and converted that to kW. The unit likely only draws maybe 35 amps at a maximum, the 60 amp breaker is needed to allow starting but is not the actual current draw.

Not sure what you have for "styling chair" or why you need 2-1500 watt circuits for each. Not saying you won't have cases where you do have a heavy draw but not too likely you will have 3000 watts on all 12 of them at same time either. Especially if there is separate hair dryers. Styling irons are nowhere near this kind of wattage if those are being used, they are probably 40 watts max and likely even less than that.

retirede

I agree with Kwired. It looks like you’re using the circuit ampacity as the load resulting in way too high total load.

The water heater is probably the only thing correctly accounted for.

BatmanisWatching1987

Occupation
Jr. EE
Not sure what you have for "styling chair" or why you need 2-1500 watt circuits for each. Not saying you won't have cases where you do have a heavy draw but not too likely you will have 3000 watts on all 12 of them at same time either. Especially if there is separate hair dryers. Styling irons are nowhere near this kind of wattage if those are being used, they are probably 40 watts max and likely even less than that.
Based on the Salon request, she said each station will use a Dyson Hair Dryer, which requires about 1380W.
Hence why I bumped it up to 1500W.
Also, what if a person decided to plug another hairdryer into the other outlet at each station, so I used 1500W for both receptacles.

But it appears you likely took the MOCP of 60 amps and converted that to kW. The unit likely only draws maybe 35 amps at a maximum, the 60 amp breaker is needed to allow starting but is not the actual current draw.

I agree, I can lower the kW for the HVAC.

raberding

Occupation
Consulting Engineer
Based on the Salon request, she said each station will use a Dyson Hair Dryer, which requires about 1380W.
Hence why I bumped it up to 1500W.
Also, what if a person decided to plug another hairdryer into the other outlet at each station, so I used 1500W for both receptacles.

I agree, I can lower the kW for the HVAC.
hi - for HVAC, I use the MCA to calc the kw