Tips for new foreman

Status
Not open for further replies.

naplespete57

Occupation
Project Manager in Conveyor Industry
Just took a job as a foreman over a large crew of relatively inexperienced help.

They were taught how to wire these multifamily residences by doing one or two of them and then they were free to go.

They had wired numerous of them before I was hired. I was hired because they have had NUMEROUS problems regarding their wiring. An eight unit bldg may be roughed in 5 days, trimmed in 2-3 days but then the troubleshooting takes 2-3 days.

My question is, what sort of tips or wiring practices are you familiar with that I could enforce that would minimize these problems. For example; I was taught to keep my ground wire short as possible and shove it all the way back in the box before installing my device thereby getting it out of the way of both the neutral and the hot wire.

All tips and ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Pete

Ed MacLaren

Re: Tips for new foreman

Here are a few that worked for me.

Usually, on any crew, there are some people better at roughing-in, and some better at trim-out. Once you have identified each, have them specialize, if that is possible.

Make as many of the connections as possible at rough-in time, while the cables are exposed, and problems are more easily fixed.

Use a standard wire identification code throughout, for travellers, switched wires, etc.

Ed

shocker3218

Probably the best thing you can do is try to boost the confidence level of everyone. It has been my observation over the years that people who work slow, do it because they lack confidence. How do you get them to gain confidence? I wish I had some good answers for that. The other tip that I would encourage everyone to do things systematically. For instance, when I device out, I strip and bend all my wires, then land and tighten ground and neutral, (which are on the same side of the receptacle), then flip it over, land the hot, fold the wires in and tighten it to the wall. If you develop simple sytems like that, work goes much faster and easier, less time you have to think about things.

naplespete57

Occupation
Project Manager in Conveyor Industry

Just to carry it one step further. What kind of techniques do you teach your people to cut down on short circuits when they install their devices?

How about techniques to minimize the arc faults in bedrooms?

jimwalker

Something i use to do on multi family units was devide the men.Put one man to a unit on trim.Mark his start time and keep the log.Then when you hot check you find the problem maker,Chances are there are only 1 or 2 men causing 90 % of the problems.
On a rough pull all home runs and label before any other wires are pulled.Then teach them never to start pulling a wire from a receptacle that isn't already fed.Am curious are you from Naples FL?

peter

It looks like you need to give a few Receptacle Wiring 101 classes.
Make sure they pre-twist the wires before installing the wire nut.
Wrapping the completed recept. with black phase tape will cost 1? each but may eliminate some GFCI/stupidAFCI problems.
I use the "Z" method of arranging the wires in the box.
Make sure the receptacles are installed right side up.
Provide number books so all circuits are labeled. Wrap the incoming line wire with pink phase tape to identify it.
Make sure each installer has a complete set of the necessary tools.
~Peter
What exactly are the problems showing up in the trouble-shooting?

jimwalker

"Wrap the incoming line wire with pink phase tape to identify it."
Your kidding i hope PINK phase tape.Not on any of my jobs LOL
I mark my line side of gfci my twisting the wires and or stripping them.
And just what is the right side up ? residential ground down,commercial ground up

[ October 04, 2004, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Perhaps you could use electricity to motivate your employees.

Pet supply places sell collars with little electrodes imbedded in them designed to give an electric shock which you activate with a remote control unit.

You note someone spending too much time in the PortaJohn - give hime a little tickle to motivate him to get on with it.

hurk27

I require that all terminal screws to be run all the way in. This leaves less of a target for those pesky bare ground wires to touch.

But you need to start some kind of training, and logging the problems that are most frequently occurring so you'll know what need's to be address first. I have printed up little help booklets that also help with those who seem to forget easily as getting good help around here is a problem.
The other thing to try is to reward each month for the most complete jobs without problems or red tags. This seem's to motivate many.
In todays world with allot of kids still living at home it hard to get them interested in learning but with the right motivation it can be done.
You just need to find what it is.
Here is some idea's:
Point's that could count toward more days off for vacation, Pay increase, Bonus, Tools.
Always complement your men when they do a good job and if they don't, let them know they need to try harder and what they can expect if they don't. Never belittle a worker as this will discourage him from trying and make him think he's just not good enough, Never promise anything you don't intend to keep as they will pick up on this just like kids and know you won't follow through. Be consistent in discipline or rewards.
Most of all be assertive when it comes to letting them know what you want and expect from them.
And also be an example of what you want from them.

P.S. This works for raising kids too :D

[ October 05, 2004, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

jimwalker

One thing i keep seeing on lots of posts is "it's hard to find good help" they should add "that will work cheap" There are plenty of good men out there but you need to offer good money to attract them.If wages are not good in this trade then nobody will want to become an electrician.Where will we get good electricians in 20 more years ?

derwith

The job of a foreman is to make sure his men and women have all the material, tools, and information necessary to do the job.

noxx

Originally posted by derwith:
The job of a foreman is to make sure his men and women have all the material, tools, and information necessary to do the job.
I'm gonna disagree there. I think if you worked under a foreman that you didn't learn anything from that he wasn't doing his job very well.

Certainly it's not a foremans job to make an electrician out of a laborer, but as a foreman you often have years or even decades of wisdom that your installers don't. Share it.

jimwalker

Foremans job varies from company to company,some are called working foreman,as they are exspected to install as well as run job.It is his job to make shure everything gets done correctly and in proper time /cost.How hard this is depends on what kind of men he was handed.Sounds like he will need to learn spanish.I ran into this a few times with non english workers,rather than tell me they don't understand something ,they say they do ,thinking it the thing to do so i dont get them off my crew for lack of communication.

derwith

Training electricians is the responsibility of the apprenticeship program and the journeymen the apprentice is working with. If you are teaching untrained workers, you are a teacher. Not a foreman.

[ October 06, 2004, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: derwith ]

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Originally posted by derwith:
Training electricians is the responsibility of the apprenticeship program and the journeymen the apprentice is working with. If you are teaching untrained workers, you are a teacher. Not a foreman.
That might be a traditional approach but in the real world I am not so sure.

jimwalker

If i got this figured right they want me to teach them kids to do my job for less money.And if i don't they find someone who will.No wonder wages have turned to -----

Status
Not open for further replies.