Tie-Wrap Saves The Day At Candlestick Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
It makes me wonder why the breaker had undervoltage trip to begin with?

One of the more observant comments in this whole thread.
We asked ourselves the same question. UV protection on lighting loads?
But it turns out this switchboard also feeds escalators with I believe have motors ;)
so hence the protection. Regardless, the customer wants the UV circuit repaired (replace Selenium rectifier) as the tie-wrap was only a temporary fix (I knew this OP would draw a lot of attention!)
BTW the explosions/ power outage seen in the blimp video last year were due to a 12kv cable splice opening up and shorting phase to phase on a utility line outside of the park, despite what the media blurbed.
Do a search on this site to read my detailed explanation if you care to read what really happened.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
There goes another piece of my childhood, I grew up going to games at Candlestick-parents had season tickets.

My woeful 9ers season ticket story:

For the NEW 49ers stadium in Santa Clara, the 49ers organization, being all magnanimous and all to their loyal fan base, extended a special offer to season ticket holders at Candlestick:

For the paltry sum of just $80,000, we can re-buy the RIGHTS to later buy new season tickets!

Yes, you read that right, that is $80 THOUSAND dollars, not to buy the tickets, but to buy the RIGHTS to buy the tickets in the form of what they call a "Stadium License"! Good news though, that license is a one-time purchase for the LIFE of the stadium, plus it can be fully transferred, sold, willed, etc., and, most importantly, PROFITED ON, just like real estate (that was a big part of their marketing campaign).

This by the way, is PER SEAT. I owned 4 seats. They want $240,000 from me, just to buy my rights to then later PURCHASE my season tickets.

Once you have sold your children into slavery, put the wife to work on the streets and sold the house to live in a double-wide, then you still have to buy the TICKETS. There are several package deals, including the RIGHTS to buy away game tickets (extra of course), but the CHEAPEST deal on season tickets available to me, comparable to my Candlestick seats on the 45 yard line 10 rows back, was $375 PER GAME, PER SEAT!!! So for me, that would be $1500 per game. 8 games this season (not including Playoffs, extra of course), that means an ADDITIONAL $12,000 this year alone. Year 2 I will not have to re-buy my Stadium License of course, but undoubtedly the ticket price will go up.

Needless to say, I bailed. I saved the money and bought myself a big screen TV and HD programming. Football has become a RICH man's sport. Ironic, considering that in the early days of Football, it was considered a blue collar sport.

Last edited:

zog

I have some of those UV devices if you need one but just from what is visable in those photos I see several problems, looks like they are way over due for refirbishment of that gear.

zog

So if I'm to inderstand you correctly the Db breaker doesn't employ a closing spring that is charged but a large solenoid closes the contacts. If the solenoid drives the contacts closed does the solenoid also hold the contacts closed?

No, it latches closed and the solenoid is de-energized.

DB-50.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.