Thermocouples Junctions.

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

reyamkram

Hello,

I requested information on the type of thermocouples we have on our injection unit, I received a replay,

WE use unground J thermocouples, the shields are grounded,

Question----dose that mean the thermocouple junction is unground and one end of the shield is ground in the control box to the system ground, to act as a ground drip. the machine in question are Husky Hylectric models.

Thank you, for any and all information.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Question----dose that mean the thermocouple junction is unground and one end of the shield is ground in the control box to the system ground, to act as a ground drip. the machine in question are Husky Hylectric models.
To me that means that neither of the T-couple wires are connected to the metallic housing or cable shield, but the housing and cable shield are connected together. I would guess that the shield should be grounded in the box.

4x4dually

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Ex-Electrician
Correct. The ungrounded thermocouple means the junction of the two wires in the probe are isolated from the sheath.

Visual stolen from the webs:

Screenshot 2022-03-09 131930.jpg

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Hello,

I requested information on the type of thermocouples we have on our injection unit, I received a replay,

what is a ground drip?

garbo

Hello,

At an injection plant & large candy company that I worked out the The thermocouple wires were never grounded. Was taught to only ground one end of shield on cables. If you ground both ends the shield might carry current.

Status
Not open for further replies.