The plug (it's a power supply for a wireless router) is too wide for the box cover

Max Headroom

Occupation
General Building Contractor/Electrical Contractor
So I have a single gang receptacle outlet inside of the exterior stucco finish with an in-use weather proof cover but my client wants to plug in his wireless router power supply which is too wide for a single gang cover, I'm hoping to find something that fits the box and is wide enough for the power supply, like a "while in use weatherproof double gang cover but with the device centered in the cover. Thanks for any help.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
My first question is why is he locating a wireless router outside? Put a router inside then a CAT6 to a wireless access point that is POE outside. No power receptacle required.

-Hal

Max Headroom

Occupation
My first question is why is he locating a wireless router outside? Put a router inside then a CAT6 to a wireless access point that is POE outside. No power receptacle required.

-Hal
The location is an outdoor covered patio where he has a flat screen TV on the same corner as he wants to mount the router, I'm assuming it's to bring the signal from the house to that outdoor area away from the main house. The area would actually be considered a damp area as there is considerable overhang and the router is fully protected from wind blown rain and such but the receptacle needs a "in use cover", he has bought the gear/router and also has the same setup inside of his house. The TV is there, the receptacle outlet is there, he only wants to plug in this wireless router and mount a small bracket it came with onto the stucco, two anchors w/screws, simple but the power supply needs a bigger box. Maybe one solution would be to leave the existing outlet for use with the TV and extend the circuit to a more protected area close to the router and use a WR receptacle with no cover?

Todd0x1

Since this is already kinda janky, how about just using one of those 1ft extension cords between the receptacle and the wall wart?

OR if you want to get fancy (I am assuming this power supply is 12vdc with a 5.5mm x 2.1mm center positive barrel jack like most things use these days) check out the Meanwell OWA-60U-12 its a brick type power supply with a permanent 5ft AC cord and a 1ft DC cord, has mounting tabs, and is moistureproof. Its $30, but might be the most elegant solution.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The area would actually be considered a damp area as there is considerable overhang and the router is fully protected from wind blown rain and such but the receptacle needs a "in use cover", he has bought the gear/router and also has the same setup inside of his house.
If it's only a damp location get rid of the wet location in use cover and use a damp location flip cover.

CoolWill

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You can use a 2 gang bubble cover with one duplex. Might need a little Lexel around the top and sides, but really they all do anyway.

Max Headroom

Occupation
I am going to get more information i.e., pictures and measurements of the wall wart, also of the structure and proposed location for the router.
Thank you all for jumping in to help, I really do appreciate it very much.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Both Taymac and Intermatic offer 2 gang in-use covers that include an insert for a duplex/decora receptacle in the center. I don't know the model numbers off the top of my head you you can easily find them on the manufactures web sites.

We often use them for water softeners installed outside that have a plug in xmfr.

Max Headroom

Occupation
Both Taymac and Intermatic offer 2 gang in-use covers that include an insert for a duplex/decora receptacle in the center. I don't know the model numbers off the top of my head you you can easily find them on the manufactures web sites.

We often use them for water softeners installed outside that have a plug in xmfr.
That is great news, I will do that later today when I get home from work, thank you.

Max Headroom

Occupation

We often use them for water softeners installed outside that have a plug in
Great I found this one thanks to your post, and many thanks to everyone for jumping in to help. https://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-W...l/dp/B000X1S02Q/ref=pd_ci_mcx_pspc_dp_d_2_i_0

Max Headroom

Occupation

-Hal
Thanks Hal, I'll mention that to him, he's some kind of software developer of sorts and from the looks of his house he knows what he's doing..

Max Headroom

Occupation
You can take a look here. They ave a wide model big enough for a round box and an extendable box cover.

https://www.aifittings.com/media/spec-sheets/60VW.pdf

only you could know how big the wall wart is.
Thanks for your input MTW, unfortunately I failed to measure the wart thinking that a 2 gang in-use cover that had an insert for a duplex/decora receptacle in the center would be pretty easy to find, which it actually was thanks to this forum, happy days, thanks to all!

Max Headroom

Occupation
Sounds to me that it isn't a router at all if it has no ethernet cables. Likely an access point that is part of a meshed system. Just a repeater.

-Hal
Interesting, I'm going to look into that, it is wireless and I think it's main purpose is to provide the TV with signal. I'll get some pics and more info and get back to the forum with it, thanks