The instructors best friend - - -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed MacLaren

Do any of you instructors use an interactive whiteboard, the type that is used with a computer and projector?

If you haven't tried one, I urge you to do so if at all possible.

I'll just mention a few of the main features of the one we used, the SmartBoard.

* Control your computer, any application, including your Web Browser, by touching the screen. Your finger, or a pointer, on the screen performs the function of a mouse. No need to bring a laptop into the seminar room. I worked from my office desktop in the next room.

* Mark (notes, highlights, etc) over the top of your presentation, and save, or don't save, the mark-ups. Your choice.

* Print whatever is on the screen, if students want or need a copy. For "slide" type of presentations, you choose the number of slides per page.

* For seminars involving complex diagrams, such as motor control or electronic schematics, you can have the "skeleton" of the diagram pre-drawn and then develop the diagram during the session by drawing in the components or wires, any color, erase and make changes, add notes, etc, and print, save or not save, the results.

* Use the internet as a teaching resource. Anything that can be found on the web can be used in your seminar!!!

I found the last two features to be invaluable, and would be reluctant to go back to teaching without the SmartBoard.

Check it out. Smart Technologies

Ed

pierre

Re: The instructors best friend - - -

Ed
I use some Power Point Presentations. Can this be used with it (on the same screen)? Or do I use it as a 'whiteboard" with computer capibilities?
Would I be able to use a drawing program, such as the one you use to post with?
Pierre

Ed MacLaren

Pierre,

Whatever application is running on your computer, and that means anything, including the web browser, is projected onto the screen by the projector.

In effect, the projector and screen combined is a second monitor for the computer.

The most useful feature is the ability to operate the computer by touching the screen. Your finger, or a pointer, performs the function of a mouse. Instead of fiddling with a laptop during a presentation, you would be touching the screen to advance slides, change to a different application, etc.
Would I be able to use a drawing program, such as the one you use to post with?
Yes, most of the sketches that I have posted are taken from my seminar presentations.

The SmartBoard comes with a presentation software called Smart Notebook, which is similar to PowerPoint without the fancy "fades and transitions".
You advance your slides with forward and back buttons, re-arrange the frames, etc.

It is also a basic drawing program, with a selection of line widths, shapes, a hi-lighter, etc.
You have control over background color, font type, size, and color, etc.
Graphics are treated as objects, which can be moved around within a frame, and combined with text.
It has a "capture" feature that enables you to grab text or graphics from other applications, including whatever web page is on your browser and instantly insert it into a presentation frame.

I have often gone down to the shop, or to a job site, taken digital photos of a particular piece of equipment, or some wiring project in progress, and had it into a presentation within minutes.

You would have to see a demonstration to see all of the features.

There is even a feature that can convert hand printing, done by you on the screen with a marker, into type, in your choice of font and color!!

Best idea is to contact your nearest dealer and arrange for a demonstration, or visit someone who is using one.

Ed

(edited typos)

[ January 16, 2005, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: Ed MacLaren ]

Ed,

Nice idea but I will guess that they are expensive? Any idea how much the investment is?

Ed MacLaren

Ben,
The one I used was purchased in 1997, and at that time the most expensive component was the digital projector at about $10,000. The SmartBoard was about $5,000 (Canadian).

Prices have dropped considerably. The last projector we bought, in 2002, was only around $5,000.

I would estimate about $,7000 - $8,000 US.

Ed

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

I use a radio remote control for my laptop, its made by Gyration. It has many of the advantages of the interactive white board, and has more functions. For example it has four programmable buttons, I program one with an arrow, 2 - 4 are usually pictures relating to the presentation audience. My last presentation was for traffic signal folks, so I had a picture of a traffic signal cabinet I could pop up when I wanted to make my points. The arrow feature is very nice, as you can drop multiple arrows on the screen. And you can have count down timers, highlighters, and much much more. Its essentially a mouse you hold, with special presentation software. Its about $200 and worth the cost.

http://www.gyration.com/gyroremote.htm

You can be across the room and work your power point presentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.