Terra Dome wiring job

Status
Not open for further replies.

olly

Occupation
Master Electrician
I am helping a friend wire a Terra Dome house. A terra dome is house where the walls and ceiling are pored in concrete. The contractor installed the boxes and conduit. All of the pipes are stubbed out at ground level, the piping will run on the ground and then be covered by a concrete floor. Everything looks ok except the outlets, he only stubbed out one pipe. So I cant go in and out without a splice box!!! This is a huge problem!!! Do you think the inspector will allow a T to be covered in concrete? By a T, I mean like an LB but a with 3 ports with a removable cover. Would that be legal or does anyone have any ideas?

luckylerado

I helped with one of these monolithic domes once many years ago. We turned up into interior walls and then put UF through the pipe to the exterior walls.

Total PITA rough in. I was not part of the trim out.

J.P.

In short NO.

If the inspector has no idea you have a covered up junction box......he will "allow" it. If you need to get to it later you will be very sorry. What would you do short of chipping up the floor?

If he can tell there is one....... you wont pass and if he catches you shortcutting, he will never forget it.

Your boxes have to be accessible. You could argue accessible in some cases, but under concrete is not one of them.

When I do a block or concrete building I always run a single pipe to a box. Later on you either finish out your pipe runs or set a J box above the ceiling grid.

If it were me I would try to set a gutter somewhere handy to get to later. Preferably within 18" of the panel so I didn't have to worry about de-rating my gutter feeds.

How many receps are we talking?

Status
Not open for further replies.