Terminals for a Soft Starter

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have selected a Soft Starter that the terminal size is ~.75" wide with a #12 screw to place the lug kit. The cable is over sized because of the distance to the turbine/motor. The standard lug kit for the dual 350MCM cable has a 3/8" hole and on a different piece of equipment is a single 900MCM is even larger - The manufacture said this was a common problem and request but said it was our decision on how to accommodate the larger cable. Is there and adapter plate? Or a transition box lug?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
We have selected a Soft Starter that the terminal size is ~.75" wide with a #12 screw to place the lug kit. The cable is over sized because of the distance to the turbine/motor. The standard lug kit for the dual 350MCM cable has a 3/8" hole and on a different piece of equipment is a single 900MCM is even larger - The manufacture said this was a common problem and request but said it was our decision on how to accommodate the larger cable. Is there and adapter plate? Or a transition box lug?
Seriouisly? A #12 screw to fasten a lug that can hold dual 350's? Someone screwed up if you ask me... Who's soft starter is it.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I agree, one small screw like that trying to contain a couple huge wires trying to spring out of the lugs sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. I would think a 1/4-3/8" bolt minimum.

Messed Up

Messed Up

Looked at the drawing again - French - had a strange marking for Diameter - I mistook it for a #12 - actually meant 12mm - .47 inches - while I still need to use the power distribution block for the soft starter interface to the contactors I can now use standard lugs on the input side

Thx for the observation -

Status
Not open for further replies.