Terminal Screws Backed out and staked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, My name is Dinora and I'm new to the forum. I'm an electrical student in California and I'm trying to research the TERM TERMINAL SCREWS BACKED OUT AND STAKED. Can anyone help me out please? Thank you in advance :?

edlee

Hi, My name is Dinora and I'm new to the forum. I'm an electrical student in California and I'm trying to research the TERM TERMINAL SCREWS BACKED OUT AND STAKED. Can anyone help me out please? Thank you in advance :?

I never heard that phrase before and it doesn't make much sense to me since staking is a way to keep a threaded connection tight and in place.

Perhaps it is referring to "captive" screws, which are designed so that when they are unscrewed most of the way from a terminal they have a stop of some sort at the end that prevents them from being completely unscrewed and falling out.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
That stop at the end of a captive screw is usually created by deforming (staking?) only the ends of the threads.
One way to do this, to avoid messing up the rest of the thread, is to perform the operation while the screws are backed out to the point where you want the "stop" to be.

iwire

Staff member

You are talking about advertising / information for a device right?

I think you will find it just means the screws are shipped backed out but are also staked to prevent them from backing all the way out while in transit.

Basically it means they goofed up the male threads in an area that is not needed after the screws where installed into the device.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

I think you will find it just means the screws are shipped backed out but are also staked to prevent them from backing all the way out while in transit.

Basically it means they goofed up the male threads in an area that is not needed after the screws where installed into the device.

I think the backed out part is for sales promotion, but the staked part is a UL requirement.

In the case of electrical terminals, staking is the practice of deforming threads on the end of a terminal screw after the screw is inserted. The deformation prevents the accidental backing out of the screw.

Thank you!

Thank you!

Thank you very much for the reply back. I was so confused. I tried researching online and nothing will show. That's how my instructor wrote on the homework paper. :bye:

FREEBALL

typically if you back the screw out all the way you play hell screwing it back in so don't use a battery screwdriver to use them unless you know what to expect. I had a helper ask me if we had extra receptacle screws one time years back and I was like yeah we have 6/32s I gave them to him and he said no the wire screws :lol:

PetrosA

I also think the staking is a safety feature. It used to be possible to back out screws the whole way which was far enough that a screw head that wasn't tightened down could touch the side of a wallcase when it was screwed in or ir could vibrate out that far if it wasn't torqued down. I believe that the staking distance (about enough to get a 12AWG on a 15A receptacle or 10AWG on a 20A receptacle) limits the risk of an untightened screw hitting the wallcase.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I also think the staking is a safety feature. It used to be possible to back out screws the whole way which was far enough that a screw head that wasn't tightened down could touch the side of a wallcase when it was screwed in or ir could vibrate out that far if it wasn't torqued down. I believe that the staking distance (about enough to get a 12AWG on a 15A receptacle or 10AWG on a 20A receptacle) limits the risk of an untightened screw hitting the wallcase.
Probably even more important for unused screws, which you might not think to torque. :)
And will not cause any symptoms as they loosen.

Thank you all for the help

Thank you all for the help

Thank you guys for all the help. :D
I wish someone would "stake" all the screws on my romex connectors:)

Probably even more important for unused screws, which you might not think to torque. :)
And will not cause any symptoms as they loosen.

typically if you back the screw out all the way you play hell screwing it back in so don't use a battery screwdriver to use them unless you know what to expect. I had a helper ask me if we had extra receptacle screws one time years back and I was like yeah we have 6/32s I gave them to him and he said no the wire screws :lol:

I think the backed out part is for sales promotion, but the staked part is a UL requirement.

In the case of electrical terminals, staking is the practice of deforming threads on the end of a terminal screw after the screw is inserted. The deformation prevents the accidental backing out of the screw.

That stop at the end of a captive screw is usually created by deforming (staking?) only the ends of the threads.
One way to do this, to avoid messing up the rest of the thread, is to perform the operation while the screws are backed out to the point where you want the "stop" to be.

I never heard that phrase before and it doesn't make much sense to me since staking is a way to keep a threaded connection tight and in place.

Perhaps it is referring to "captive" screws, which are designed so that when they are unscrewed most of the way from a terminal they have a stop of some sort at the end that prevents them from being completely unscrewed and falling out.

rnj

Terminal Screws Backed out and staked, more info

Terminal Screws Backed out and staked, more info

Backed-Out and Staked regarding Electrical Screw Terminals (usually found on a switch or receptacle).

Staked screws have the last 2 or 3 threads slightly deformed during the manufacturing process.

The intent is to prevent the Terminal Screw from being accidently removed from the device. Staked (held in place) in a Backed-Out condition (to remove the screw from the device would require a significant amount of force; once removed it is extremely difficult to re-insert the screw).

Backed-Out is when Terminal has been run out to its maximum (without being removed from the device) and is ready to receive the conductor.

The purpose for Backed-Out is to facilitate the ease and speed (think, Time is Money) to complete the conductor termination on the device.

Status
Not open for further replies.