Tenant / landlord dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkg

Here's the situation... Got a call today from a tenant to look at a service. Breaker panel and breakers are severely rusted and main breaker frozen in the ''on'' position.Landlord had his electrician out and tenant was told there was no problem with the main being basically ''rusted in place'' and the poor condition of the entire service. After calling several other contractors who would not even look at the service because they know the landlord, they called me. Apparently there are filing a suit against said landlord and need a writen opinion of another electrician...If anyone could point out some of the exact code violation articles it would be appreciated. Just want to check my list against some of yours.

bennie

Esteemed Member
Re: Tenant / landlord dispute

It is not likely there is any code violations. It appears the condition is from age and weather.

Difficult to write mother nature for a code violation.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I am not sure how anyone could assert that the main was ?rusted in place,? to the satisfaction of another person who has not seen the installation. But if the main really cannot operate as an overcurrent device, then I think you have a violation of 230.70 General, ?Means shall be provided to disconnect all conductors in a building or other structure from the service-entrance conductors.?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Why are they filing a suit against the landlord? What losses have they incurred due to the weathered service? If the service is a danger, in my opinion the tenants should move elsewhere.

I would be very skeptical about the tenant's. It sounds like they are trying to get something for nothing, and if they drag you into court, you may wind up paying a lawyer out of your pocket.

Just my opinion and sorry if I got a little off the subject.

Steve

cs409

i agree with charlie b and steve66..... i wouldn't touch it......

if they have a problem with safety issues(and they should),,,,then advice them to call the city electrical inspectors office.

other than that,,,i would be REAL careful with words around that tenant!!! u could end up on perry mason for about 4 shows
:D

tshea

I second cs409. TELL the tenants to call the electrical inspector, then run as fast as you can. Cut your losses!
These always turn into a messy situation of he said she said. If the other contractors won't work for the landlord, then I say the handwriting is on the wall!

If you really want to hang in there, then contact your attorney and let him know what's going on. He may tell you to cut your losses and run away from this one.

My $.02

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

My 2 also,If the electrical inspector is called he has no choice but to shut the service down.By being frozen I would consider it unservicable.Will the breaker trip if there is a fault?In an emergency there is no way to shut the service off shy of removing the meter,I wouldn`t want to be there if main was frozen,shorting and the only way to cut off power is to remove the meter......What a load.Ok so I put 4 in.A.wayne :eek:

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

My belief is that you don't want to get involved with the legal system if you don't have to. It's bad enough if you get dragged into court or have to go after somebody but to volunteer like this is just asking for trouble. I would steer clear.

-Hal

cs409

found another 5cents so i will toss it in...just RE read the original post........these people only need a licensed electrician(professional) to help out their cause with the suite!!!!!!!!!!! second....I NEVER RESPOND TO A TENANT(unless approved in advance)...if i do get a call from someone as above,,,i call the landlord...after all, he/she will be the one to OK the job and second, PAID you! again, i would advice the tenant to call the city inspector and as hurk27 stated, the city fire marshal. other than that,,,,i would not even look at the item...after all,, if you look u could become a witness!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.