Telephone wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky88

What section of the code addresses the requirements for installing telephone cables? (i.e. requirement to be installed in raceways.....)Thanks

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: Telephone wires

Art 800 is not subject to the requirements of Chapters 1-7, unless a specific reference is made in Chapter 8 (Section 90.3). There is no requirement for telecom to be in conduit, but if conducit is used it is installed per Chapter 3. Keep in mind the maximum pulling tension for telemcom cables is rather low, and you should limit runs to 180 degrees of bends.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

no matter what it has to be installed in acordance with 300.4 D

techgod

In the March issue of "Electrical Contractor" within the Quiz column it stated that the FCC requires a minimum of Cat 3 telephone wire for homes. Are there any other FCC regulations I should know about, like maybe a minimum requirement for coax?

TIA,
Mark

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Not that I am aware of on telephone but the cat 3 would be hard to enforce. But run Cat 5 or 5e its only a few dollars more.
Our cable tv company requires RG-6 quad, you can use RG-59, its too lossly. But just like Cat 5/5e is far better than 3, same with RG-6, you get less loss with it, and its what BICSI recommends for home wiring.

hurk27

It also helps with bandwidth that the cable can carry before attenuation. The larger the diameter of the cable the more broadband the cable. I have RG11U that runs from the fiber optics tap just in back of my home to my cable modem. It was great when we had Excite as our cable Internet but now we are limited to just 3 meg's a second. Back then I was getting test speeds above 5 megs. With cable getting close to over a gigahertz in bandwidth with the Internet running at 750mhz (down) and 250mhz (up) You can run out of space in a RG59U cable real quick. Then if you ever want to switch to satellite, you will have problems with 59u. And in todays world you need to keep up with the latest, or you will be left behind by you competitors

Status
Not open for further replies.