Telephone ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samz

I have been required to provide a ground for a new telephone service. I understand it needs to be a #6 and attatched to the grounding electrode, but the trailer's main disconnect is mounted on a pole where the utility mounted the service. The main bonding jumper is installed there, my question is can I drive another ground rod at the trailer and attatch it to the equipment grounding bar in the panel at the trailer or just provide them with a #6 to attatch to? I looked at 250-32(D) would this apply?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: Telephone ground

Samz, welcome to the forum. :)

Originally posted by Samz:
I have been required to provide a ground for a new telephone service.
By whom? The telco should take care of their own headaches. :)

Then the telco will find your ground rod and attach their equipment to it.

Since you have pulled an equipment grounding conductor from the service at the pole, make no connection between neutral and ground at the trailer. Your ground rod will need to be terminated on the grounding bar of that panel.

charlie

By whom? The telco should take care of their own headaches. :D
George, the provisions in 250.94 must be followed. Yes, we are our brother's keeper. Generally, (1) or (2) is available so we do not need to provide (3). :D

hess

george since when have you been required to drive a ground rod at the mobile home sub panel?
i thought that was why the service could only be 30 feet or less from the moblie home and had to be a 4 wire system.
i think mobile homes have their own section in the nec.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by hess:
george since when have you been required to drive a ground rod at the mobile home sub panel?

i think mobile homes have their own section in the nec.
True enough: But I see nothing in Article 550 that modifies the requirements of 250.32.

I find:
550.32(B)(4) Bonding and grounding of the service shall be in accordance with Article 250.
550.32(B)(7) A red warning label shall be mounted on or adjacent to the service equipment. The label shall state the following:
WARNING DO NOT PROVIDE ELECTRICAL POWER UNTIL THE GROUNDING ELECTRODE(S) IS INSTALLED AND CONNECTED (SEE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS).
While it could be argued about "which" grounding electrode is being referred to, it seems evident to me that the service doesn't move. The home just moved into place, and there is a probability that the m.h. will be plugged in before the grounding electrode is installed (per 250.32).

Don't you think?

i thought that was why the service could only be 30 feet or less from the moblie home and had to be a 4 wire system.
550.32(A) Mobile Home Service Equipment. The mobile home service equipment shall be located adjacent to the mobile home and not mounted in or on the mobile home...
This indicates to me that the service will be existing prior to and independent of the mobile home.

...The service equipment shall be located in sight from and not more than 9.0 m (30 ft) from the exterior wall of the mobile home it serves....
There could be any number of reasons for this. I think it's to further restrict the general definition of "In Sight Of" in Article 100 for this application.

...The service equipment shall be permitted to be located elsewhere on the premises, provided that a disconnecting means suitable for service equipment is located in sight from and not more than 9.0 m (30 ft) from the exterior wall of the mobile home it serves. Grounding at the disconnecting means shall be in accordance with 250.32.
They clearly wish for us to adhere to 250.32. ;)

hess

i guess next you will tell me i need to drive a ground rod at a camper since its a seperate structure and has a remote panel.

hess

i think you also need to read the rest of 550.32 (b)7 and everything else in 550.32 the only referance back to 250 or 230 is about the service equipment. because 550.32(b)7 is talking about the servie mounted directly to the mobile home.

Samz
Normally there are no ground rods at the trailer or mobile home, but rather at a remote service or disconnecting means as Hess indicated. Commonly, the telephone network interface (grey box) is mounted at the disconnect where the ground rods are, but if it were mounted on the trailer, I can see no harm for supplying a ground rod for the phone company.
Buck

[ July 06, 2005, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: buck33k ]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by hess:
i guess next you will tell me i need to drive a ground rod at a camper since its a seperate structure and has a remote panel.
Are we talking RV's or mobile homes? :D

I'm sleepy. Good night.

hurk27

George I just looked at 24 CFR part 3280, which is the code that HUD requires us to follow when doing trailer setups. And they only require that we follow manufacturer's installation instructions.

``Warning--do not provide electrical power until the grounding
electrode is installed and connected (see installation instructions).''
Oh by the way 24 CFR part 3280 supersedes the NEC

Scope.

(a) Subpart I of this standard and part A of Article 550 of the
National Electrical Code (NFPA No. 70-1993) cover the electrical
conductors and equipment installed within or on manufactured homes and
the conductors that connect manufactured homes to a supply of
electricity.

(b) In addition to the requirements of this standard and Article 550
of the National Electrical Code (NFPA No. 70-1993) the applicable
portions of other Articles of the National Electrical Code shall be
followed covering electrical installations in manufactured homes. Wherever the requirements of this standard differ from the National
Electrical Code, this standard shall apply.

(c) The provisions of this standard apply to manufactured homes
intended for connection to a wiring system nominally rated 120/240
volts, 3-wire AC, with grounded neutral.
Anyone who wan't a copy I can E-Mail you one.
Just PM me

hurk27

I forgot to say what I was going to? :eek:

I don't think any utility's (Telco or cable) are supposed to mount anything to a manufactured home, unless on a permanent foundation. They are only allowed to mount close to (not on) service equipment or if service equipment is too far away then close to serving disconnect which is also required to have electrode system.

Now I have more research to do! :roll:

[ July 07, 2005, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

marinesgt0411

check out article 800 I think it is around 40 or 41 somewhere in there can not remember and do not have my code book handy bond at panel or ground clamp on metal frame.

charlie

Originally posted by hurk27:
I don't think any utility's (Telco or cable) are supposed to mount anything to a manufactured home, unless on a permanent foundation. They are only allowed to mount close to (not on) service equipment or if service equipment is too far away then close to serving disconnect which is also required to have electrode system.
Wayne, you might want to read 550.32(1) again. Also, the HUD regulations supercede the NEC. :D

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by hurk27:
So i'm I still missing somthing?
You said the mobile has to be on a permanent foundation, the code does not require that.

An anchoring system will be sufficient if the instructions indicate that is OK.

Thats my story and I am sticking to it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.