TC for C1D1

Status
Not open for further replies.

beneeto

I'm designing the supply to a purged enclosure located in a paint room. I am wondering if TC approved for C1D2 can be used in a C1D1 environment as long as it's properly installed in Ex conduit and sealed on the ends? NEC 501-11 (1) says of type 'extra-hard usage' should be used for flexible cords, but it doesn't call out an approval. I have been able to find a C1D2 cable but not C1D1.

Thanks for the help.
-Ben

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Cables listed for ?extra-hard usage? are found in Table 400.4. They are not generally permitted to be installed in raceways. See Section 400.8(6).

Type TC cable is permitted to be installed in raceways. It must be sealed in accordance with Section 501.5(D).

If you are otherwise using raceway though why are you looking for a multi-conductor construction?

beneeto

I'm running power to a moving vehicle in a C1D1 environment. You're correct, I confused fixed wiring w/ flexible for my mobile app. It's all good info.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Your original description mentioned a "purged enclosure;" typically this would be fixed. Nevertheless this does generally seem to be an appropriate application of 501.11.

A word of caution: make very sure this is ?? an industrial establishment where conditions of maintenance and engineering supervision ensure that only qualified persons install and service the installation, and the flexible cord is protected by location or by a suitable guard from damage.?

A mobile unit often makes protection of a cord problematic in these applications. The most common solution in these applications is to have the cord contained in a ?take-up? reel suspended from the ceiling.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
I hesitate recommending a specific supplier but I found several by "googling,""reel hazardous."

explosion conduit?

explosion conduit?

do you really mean grc,,,,,galvinized ridgid conduit,,,,,heavy wall,,,ridgid,,,,
i always tell the appentice terminology is everything......how can someone understand if they dont know what your talking about.....just call it ridgid....most industrial hands know your talking about grc not ridgid pvc.....some call it nmc. non metalic conduit....tj;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.