taps

Status
Not open for further replies.

snjeza

Is there a limitation for cable lenght if I do a tap and both cables continue with the same size. Code covers 10' and 25' tap rule but it is regarding runing smaller size of cable.
Thank you.

dana1028

Re: taps

I believe if both sets of conductors are the same size (same rated ampacity), then you do not have a Tap, you have a splice. The rules for splicing and rating of the OCPD would apply (i.e. 80% rule for load on the OCPD, etc.).

snjeza

That means: if I feed two panels from the same source and run the same wire size to both panels I can run the length of wire as long as I need.
Did I understand that correctly?

charlie

Yes, as long as they are protected at their ampacity. In other words, you have a 200 ampere overcurrent device protecting a 3/0 Cu feeder and are tapping off of it with 3/0 Cu to another panelboard. The tap (not technically a tap according to Article 240) may go as far as you wish.

This is not too practical since it is not likely you would want to install two 200 ampere panelboards to be fed from a 200 ampere overcurrent device. :D

snjeza

And I'm reviewing project that had most of panel grouped and feeds are spliced (three panels per feed), due to vertical space limitation for runing all feeds separatly.
That's why I wanted to hear other people opinion on that issue.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by snjeza:
yes I'm. I'm foriner and having hard time learning how to interpret code.
why you asking me?
I have no interest in your place of origin, I asked because in my opinion your questions sounded like those of someone outside the trade.

This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries.
Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
Now that I see you are a consultant, that clears things up. ;)

snjeza

That's fine, my intention was not to point out where I'm from. My intention was to make you understand why I'm asking easy questions.
I do not see you answered on my question. I would be happier if you answered on my question then make me think about my knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.