Tapping a 400amp service

Status
Not open for further replies.

copper123

I have a situation where I need to supply power to the outside of a building for many outlets. My amp draw is around 100 amps of ampacity for all outlets involved. The building is feed from a 400 amp 3 phase, 120/208 volt service. The building has a 400 amp 3 phase, fused main disconnect. On the load side of the fuses in the main disconnect, the conductors leave the side of the can via a LB.
On the inside of the building, the 400 amp conductors terminate into a I line MDP panel. The MDP is full with feeds going to subpanels. The subpanels are fairly full and the entire distrubition is buried into the depths of the building.
The situation is that I need to put my 100 amp outside distribution panel very close to the 400 amp outside service disconnect.
It would be extremely practical for me to use the outside tap rule, or for the matter, even the 10 foot tap rule and feed my panel off the load side of the 400 amp disconnect.
To put a junction box off the side of the main disconnect is not going to be feasible or economical. Its would be very tough to put in some sort of junction box.
My question is this: How would I find out if the load side terminals are listed for something like a double lug set up. I have seen this done in the past, but was not sure if it was NEC approved. If I don?t make a tap outside at the main disconnect, I will need to go back into the building proper and try to find another way to get my 100 amp distribution panel back out at the service. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: Tapping a 400amp service

Depending on what brand/setup of 400 amp disconnect you have, you might consider adding a lug to the existing ones. (I don't mean pulling your existing wire out, putting a double-barrel lug into the existing lug, and terminating two sets of conductors.) I mean, looking closely at what you have, and ensuring there aren't provisions for two lugs (parallel runs).

Chances are if you get in touch with a supplier, they can get you a bolt-in two-hole or three-hole terminal to replace your existing ones.

Don't overlook getting your power from the line side of the service - depending on what you have, it might be physically easier to add to, if you do't have six handles already.

Just tossing some ideas out there. ;)

fido

Would it be possible to use the Insulation Piercing taps in this situation? I've never used them but they sure seem like an easy fix in a situation like this.

copper123

never thought about the insulation piercing taps as you suggested. Thanks for the thought, I will look into this as well. I am going to take a long look at the disconnect. Its just a square D, 400 amp fused disconnect, so it should be fairly easy to get some info on it. If its rated for two taps, i really don't see any code issues. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.