Tanning Beds

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottB.

I am currently working on a load calculation for a commercial retail space that will consist of a 9 bed tanning salon in one tenant space. Each unit is to be 220v / 40 amps. I have check the code book for any sort of demand factor allowances for calculating the loads, but have been unsuccessful. Can you help?

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Re: Tanning Beds

220.60, but for a tanning salon, I would assume that all beds could and probably would be in use at one time. The week before spring break comes to mind.

Also see 220.14(A)

iggy

Ditto tshea. We recently did excess capacity calcs for a property management client to see if a potetial tenant, a tanning salon, could go into a strip mall. We told them the 80+/- amps left on the building service would not cut it. While they would not be continuos loads, my experience has been that all beds will be in use simultaneously at some point.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I agree. It's highly likely that all of the beds will be running at one time. We did a tanning salon a few years ago and were very surprised at how much electricity the place used. Not only for the beds but for the large amount of air conditioning required to counter act all of the heat generated by the beds.

aa

We have done a few of the tanning salons...if your looking at a retail strip mall, sometimes instead of increasing the 208V service we have added a 480V service...

Does a great job when it comes to A/C, lighting and those tanning beds...(most of the time each tanning bed requires its own transformer to get to 220V...

Status
Not open for further replies.