switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

royta

Please forgive me if this is a covered topic, but why don't people ground switches when installed in non-metallic boxes? Even though it's a plastic switch cover, there are still metal screws attaching the cover to the switch.

Roy

royta

Re: switches

It's been a while since I've done any new residential. 1999 to be exact, and we were probably still using the 1996 code. Since I've gotten my EC license, I've been doing primarily residential remodel work, and have been grounding switches just because I thought it was a good idea and I wanted to go the extra mile. I didn't even realize it was required now.

Thanks.

*edit for typos*

[ September 11, 2004, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: royta ]

royta

Originally posted by george t. everett:
Switches are not required to be bonded by a ground tail if they are install in a metal box.
Right. 404.9(B)(1)

I'd just like to thank those who have helped out with this, and other, (what may seem simple to some) questions that I've had.

gndrod

Compliance to switch grounding can go to another level in some AHJ areas. At one time and it may still apply, in residential finish plating near sinks, the plate screws may be required to be plastic!

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

cooper makes a switch that has a plastic yoke.and still has a ground screw.so what is being grounded :confused:

iwire

Staff member

The switch must provide a means to ground a metal plate.

404.9(B) Grounding. Snap switches, including dimmer and similar control switches, shall be effectively grounded and shall provide a means to ground metal faceplates, whether or not a metal faceplate is installed. Snap switches shall be considered effectively grounded if either of the following conditions is met.

(1)The switch is mounted with metal screws to a metal box or to a nonmetallic box with integral means for grounding devices.

(2)An equipment grounding conductor or equipment bonding jumper is connected to an equipment grounding termination of the snap switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.