Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Switched Reluctance Motors (SRM) or Synchronous Reluctance Motors (SynRM)? It makes a difference, and SRMs need to have their own dedicated driver for them, kind of like a servo. If the equipment is coming to you as a package with the drivers, there is nothing all that special about wiring them then. The same basic rules about wiring inverter motors would apply. But SRMs are typically used for heavy duty applications because the rotor is basically just a big piece of iron machined into the proper shape. So it can 'take a licking and keep on ticking". It is however more noisy than a standard Squirrel Cage Induction Motor, which is why I question it being used in fans. But I suppose it depends on the fan.

SynRM motors on the other hand can be run from the grid or from a a lot of standard VFDs (ones that has been vetted for use on them), they are also quieter than SRMs. I would have expected that fans would be using SynRMs.

People are looking at both of them because they are more efficient than standard Squirrel Cage Induction Motors by a few percent, plus their power to weight density is higher, so you end up with a smaller frame for any given HP rating..

Status
Not open for further replies.