Switch Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

vmtrob

Just wondering if I could get an explanation as to what a switch gear does and is. I am new to the feild and trying to learn as much as possible. If anyone out there could help me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:D

ron

Simplistically, switchgear is a more sturdy version of a switchboard.
A switchboard is a more sturdy version of a panelboard.
A panelboard is a more sturdy version of a load center.

pipemaster

Banned
vmtrob said:
Just wondering if I could get an explanation as to what a switch gear does and is. I am new to the feild and trying to learn as much as possible. If anyone out there could help me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:D
This is easy. Switch gear is the service equipment. Maybe you should slow down and learn more about basics.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
I would get a hold of the Cutler Hammer Consulting Application Guide, and start reading the upfront sections, and look through the various equipment sections. There is a lot of information, that will help get you oriented. Then you can start asking more specific questions.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
ron said:
Simplistically, switchgear is a more sturdy version of a switchboard.
A switchboard is a more sturdy version of a panelboard.
A panelboard is a more sturdy version of a load center.

Where does it say this in the code book?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
petersonra said:
Where does it say this in the code book?

Its more the terminology that manufacturers use. I don't think you will find any difference between switchgear and switchboards in the code book.

I'm still waiting for Ron to define a loadcenter:)

Steve

celtic

What is switchgear?

Good question.

Here's a few pictures:
outdoor_mcswitchgear1.jpg

Figure 1. Outdoor metal-clad switchgear

outdoor_switchgear.jpg

Figure 2. Outdoor metal-clad switchgear - cut-a-way view

indoor_mc_switchgear1.jpg

Figure 3. Indoor metal-clad switchgear

[Switchgear]

Switchgear is typically a large distribution array - but not always. Sometimes one single "cabinet" may comprise the entire the "gear".

I believe (someone will correct me if I am wrong) the term "switchgear" came about from the older arrays that actually had gears in them (I'm thinking oil-filled switches).

010005.jpg

[Oil Filled switch gear]

[wikipedia.org] has a basic definition that's worth an eyeball or two.

templdl

As I understand it electrical equipment that contained breakers that could be withdrawn form their enclosure by means of a rack and pinion type gear mechanism was said to be switchgear.
It is common for both low and medium voltage enclosed breaker enclosure lineups to allow the removal and installation of breakers in a similar fashion to be refered to as switchgear.
Today the term switchgear appears to include any electrical equipment that is made up of floor standing enclosures.

kingpb said:
I would get a hold of the Cutler Hammer Consulting Application Guide, and start reading the upfront sections, and look through the various equipment sections. There is a lot of information, that will help get you oriented. Then you can start asking more specific questions.

Kingpb has an excellent idea. For someone new in the industry, the manufacturer's product books are an excellent way to start becoming familar with products. Most if not all product books can be had for free, just by going to different websites and requesting them.

Good luck and stick with this industry... it is the best!!!

ron

Bob,
You will not find those terms used in the code book. The choices are often design judgment and selection is not within the codes scope.

I can accomplish most any task with any of the choices (Switchgear, Switchboard, Panelboard or load center). Some are easier than others.

I use switchgear often at the service entry and anywhere downstream that requires concurrent maintenance. The 30 cycle short circuit rating for switchgear helps with OCPD selectivity.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Historically, switchgear is built to ANSI standards and switchboards are built to UL standards. However, it is now possible to get UL Listed switchgear.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
pipemaster,
This is easy. Switch gear is the service equipment. Maybe you should slow down and learn more about basics.
Most of the switchgear that I install is not the service equipment.
Don

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
don_resqcapt19 said:
pipemaster,

Most of the switchgear that I install is not the service equipment.
Don

I've installed tons of switchgear that was not service equipment too. The name switchgear is not synonymous with service equipment.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
templdl said:
As I understand it electrical equipment that contained breakers that could be withdrawn form their enclosure by means of a rack and pinion type gear mechanism was said to be switchgear.
It is common for both low and medium voltage enclosed breaker enclosure lineups to allow the removal and installation of breakers in a similar fashion to be refered to as switchgear.
Today the term switchgear appears to include any electrical equipment that is made up of floor standing enclosures.

No.
Within the moniker "switchgear", there is Metal-Clad draw-out switchgear, which is what you just described, and there is also Metal Enclosed Interrupter Switchgear (MEIS), which is NOT draw-out.

Switchgear = Individual switching devices in a lineup, sometimes can include only 1 device in the "lineup", sometimes there are versions with special "2-high" units. Can be circuit breakers, vacuum breakers, fused switches, even motor controllers. The operative issue is no matter what the design, each switch unit is fully isolated from any other one by metal barriers, so if a fault happens in one circuit, the damage does not spread to other units.

Switchboard = a group of switches all in the same cabinet, no isolation in between devices. Usually involves fused switches as opposed to circuit breakers. Less expensive than Switchgear, but runs the risk that a fault in one device will take down the entire system. Some people opt for this because everything in the system is interdependent anyway, but this is being used less and less, especially with the new Arc-Flash safety requirements. I see the day when switchboards will be no more.

Panelboard = a grouping of molded case or insulated case circuit breakers. Same as a switchboard concept but because each breaker is in its own case, fault management is easier. Usually refers to Low Voltage (600V and under) only.

Load Center = el-cheap-o version of a panelboard typically foound in residential applications where cost is king. Fault management by virtue of containment of the flames to within the box, but newer cheaper "home-line" versions are coming out with plastic boxes, so even that may be going by the wayside..

CarRamrod

I wrote part of the entry on switchgear in Wikipedia. Cool! You can keep your eyeballs though.:)

Seems like there are a few different ways of looking at this. Perhaps "switchgear" is kind of like "medium voltage" and it means different things to different levels of the industry. I don't see a definition in the code (CEC), or for that matter, any reference to any kind of "gear", so really switchgear is whatever the people in your industry define it as. The definitions given so far give a pretty good idea of what it is, I think.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
This is a partial explanation on 600V switchgear from the UL White book.
"The basic standards used to investigate products in this category are UL
1558, ??Metal-Enclosed Low-Voltage Power Circuit Breaker Switchgear,?? and ANSI C37.20.1, ??IEEE Standard for Metal-Enclosed Low-Voltage Power Circuit Breaker Switchgear.??

Panelboards are listed under UL67 and switchboards are UL891.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
steve66 said:
Jraef said:
I see the day when switchboards will be no more.
I don't think that will happen in my lifetime. If anything, I see switchboards being used more than switchgear.

It is dependent on the industry your in. Commercial tends to use more switchboards, where as industrial uses more switchgear. Until they start making molded case breakers that can handle 85KA of fault current, and operate ate 480V with current up to 4000A, and can be remotely opened and closed, I doubt switchboards would replace switchgear anytime soon.:)

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
kingpb said:
I doubt switchboards would replace switchgear anytime soon.:)

I hope you don't think I was saying that switchboards would replace switchgear. They each have their own advantages, and I think they will both be around for a long, long time.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
I reread what you said, and I realize maybe I interpreted it differently then what you meant. I think you were simply stating you see more installed then switchgear, which could be the case depending on the majority of work you do. No harm no foul.:D

I see a lot more switchgear then switchboards, matter of fact, I don't even know where the old switchboard spec went off too!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.