Switch and Rec heights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious what the average mounting height from the bottom of the box is for switches and receptacles in rooms, bathrooms, and kitchens around the country?

jeff43222

Re: Switch and Rec heights

I usually shoot for 12" for receptacles and 48" for switches, but I sometimes make exceptions. If there's a tall baseboard (common in the old homes in my area), I prefer to mount the box a little higher because I think it looks better than having the receptacle be so close to the baseboard.

On countertops, I don't have a standard height I go with. There are often other considerations, like cabinets or intended appliance use, that I take into account.

kiss

Recpt and switches if NOT ADA required then 12-15" for recpt, and 48" for switches.

physis

I use 12" and 48" too. Kitchen counters and bathroom vanities almost always depend on what the tile and/or cabinet guys are going to do. If there's existing I try to match it. Parenthetically I worked on a house once with switches at 3' for wheel chair access.

Editted: My feet looked like inches.

[ August 17, 2004, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

sandsnow

CA disabled access reqmnts:
Switches max 48"
FA pull stations 48" max
T-Stats 48"
above measured to center of operating handle, button, etc
Recep 15" min-measured to center

luke warmwater

Residential:
Wall receptacles - 16" to bottom
All Switches/vanity recepts./
kitchen recepts - 43" to bottom

Commercial:
As per plans/specs
Typically: 18" to center, 48" to center

ryan_618

Originally posted by luke warmwater:
Residential:
Wall receptacles - 16" to bottom
All Switches/vanity recepts./
kitchen recepts - 43" to bottom

Commercial:
As per plans/specs
Typically: 18" to center, 48" to center
48" to center is too high according to the ANSI A 117.1

dduffee260

I have been told ADA is no lower than 16" or no higher than 48" to the reaching point of a device from the front side of a wheelchair. Also on thermostats if you can wheel up to the side of it and reach it, then that height can be no higher than 56" to the reaching height of the device. We used to put switches in dwellings at 52" to the top of the box and receptacles at 16" to the top of the box. Bathroom and kitchen counters seem like they are always 40" to the top of a backsplash, so we put receptacles at 42" to the bottom of the box.

ryan_618

Originally posted by dduffee260:
I have been told ADA is no lower than 16" or no higher than 48" to the reaching point of a device from the front side of a wheelchair. Also on thermostats if you can wheel up to the side of it and reach it, then that height can be no higher than 56" to the reaching height of the device.
I beleive the 54" allowance is for side approach on existing buildings only. Also, the minimum height is 15", not 16".

I'm not sure on the 54" with ADAAG, but I know the ANSI only allows it on existing.

jes25

In a new house plugs are as high as my hammer handle :D Quicker than carrying around a tape.

Existing house I match up what is there.

jimwalker

I too use the hammer height and for switches my 4 ft level placed under the box.Fast box out.Just make sure all your men use same hammer length.

the other trick that i do carry few emt pipes that precuted one at 40 cm [16.2inches] and 120 cm [3.5 feet] and 140cm in case because i dont have to waste time to fiddle around with the tape mesure at all. by the way the emt pipes are color coded so i can grab the right one

merci, marc

speedypetey

I am very surprised some still use "hammer height". Very vague measurement IMO, especially with several men on the job. I personally would not require my men cary the same hammer as me just because I like hammer height.
Something I am also surprised at. "To the bottom" measurements. You all must like having to bend over to see the bottom of the box to line up with your mark. I know my back does not like it. I use "to the top" measurements.

For a new house I have a story pole I made. It is 48" tall & has a "V" notch, with one level cut, at 16". I just go around with it and lay out my boxes with a Sharpie.
I also match existing measurements in a home or office if they exist.

I also see alot of ADA refrences around here. Most of you must do quite a bit of ADA compliant work. The only time I vary from 16" & 48" TTT is when the print tells me to. Rarely in a house, frequently in commercial/industrial.

iwire

Staff member

How can you use to the top or to the bottom measurements at all?

We use to the center of the box, generally 48" Switches 44" above counters 18" receptacles AFF (above finished floor) to center. These measurements come right off of the prints.

The reason for the center measurements is because of the different designs of boxes.

46" to the bottom of a 4" sq with a plaster ring will result in a different height of the device as compared to 46" to the bottom of a gang box.

If we have a lot to lay out we use a story pole.

speedypetey

iwire-

Personally I use the same type of box most of the time. If I have to occasionally adjust a box to the mark 'cause it's not the same I'm OK with that.

william runkle

I try to help the other trades out if the dwelling has eight foot walls or a little less I measure down from joist 48 inches plus thickness of ceiling sheet rock So the hangers do not have to cut out box opening on top wall piece. Then they can easily handle the second piece with a cut out. Also I use the hammer trick too.

hurk27

William

We changed to 50" from the floor about 15 years ago to get the box out of the tape joint compound. :p
We got tired of the hangers taping across our box's and or filling them with mud. :roll:

william runkle

That is true but I never had a switch box covered but more than my share of receptacle boxes covered. So I will work out the mud. But lately most new homes have either nine or ten foot ceilings and it will not be practical to bring switch down from a ten foot ceiling.

jimwalker

i have had switches covered often even a few 4 gangers.If more than 1 or 2 easy to find i charge them for it.Or use your handy box finder.They will patch for free since it was there goof.And they learn from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.