supporting emt

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Splain this some more please. I'm not getting what you are meaning.

Mount one with the tabs down and next tabs up using one machine screw to clamp both.
One conduit in each minnie.
The machine screw supports the second minnie which now has an empty mounting hole facing down... which in turn could be bolted to yet another minnie...

Last edited:

liquidtite

Are these something you buy, or something you make using your own strut?

IMG_0031.jpg Its the two conduits on the left of the picture .First I set a steel drop in anchor to the ceiling and droped threaded rod with a cowboy to the back to back 90*,then I attached a cowboy to the conduit and with two nuts I attached threaded rod down to the conduit below it and attached a cowboy to that conduit.I was just woundering if this was code compliant It saved me time bc I didnt have to go grap the hammer drill and cord to set in anouther anchor.

Stevareno

Not compliant, IMO. You are using conduit to support conduit.
If you were to move your back to back cowboy configuration so that it is supported by the cowboy that is attached to the all thread anchored in the ceiling like this:

Capture.JPG
That, I would consider compliant.

Also, what is up with not having a strap on those conduits within 3 feet of the box? ;)

liquidtite

ok thnks for your time ill suport the conduit from the ceiling the way you mentioned and make shure im withen 3ft
the back to back 90 is supported withen 3 ft of the box the 90 kick up is supported a little futher ill hang a hanger for it or do what u mentioned

kwired

Electron manager
Mount one with the tabs down and next tabs up using one machine screw to clamp both.
One conduit in each minnie.
The machine screw supports the second minnie which now has an empty mounting hole facing down... which in turn could be bolted to yet another minnie...

I was going to suggest that, you should be able to hang an infinite number of raceways from one point by doing this:cool:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Its the two conduits on the left of the picture .First I set a steel drop in anchor to the ceiling and droped threaded rod with a cowboy to the back to back 90*,then I attached a cowboy to the conduit and with two nuts I attached threaded rod down to the conduit below it and attached a cowboy to that conduit.I was just woundering if this was code compliant It saved me time bc I didnt have to go grap the hammer drill and cord to set in anouther anchor.

You could just put your support on the stud and forget the drill and rod method.

liquidtite

true thats what I wanted to do at first but the 1900 box is 3/4 and 1/2 kos and sometimes if you knockout a 1/2 to 3/4 and the 3/4 connectotrs are next to each other you fight with the locknuts.and my step up bit was in the truck .

Last edited:

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Caddy made at one time, and may still, a clip on strap that does the exact same thing, back to back. So at one time, if not still, it was legal, though I think one of the pipes had to be supported by other means, not just two conduits supporting each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.