Subpanel fixup

Status
Not open for further replies.

airemdwn

I have just looked at a Garage Sub-panel That was done neatly but wrong in my opinion.
They ran SER 2/2/2/4 AL from the panel in the basement to an 8x8 JB. Ran 1 1/2 PVC outside to an LB, PVC Underground to an 8x8 JB in the garage Then aa small pvc nipple frome the jb to the panel with no main installed.

It looks like they rans the SER through the pvc. but they must have stripped the Jacket off of it leaving the no.4 AL ground bare in the pvc. None of the boxes were grounded and no ground rod was installed, and it was on a 100 amp breaker.

The Homeowner asked me to look at it,, i think he did it himself, It looks neat but..... Anyway I told him bare AL underground isnt such a good thing but i cant find a code section for it. Should i change the ser all the way or just replace the EG, and fix everything else. Its gonna be a pain either way im not sure how they got it in there but im sure it wont want to come out again.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would pull out the SE cable and change it to #2 AL XHHW. Install a ground rod at the subpanel, install a main CB too, and change the feeder CB to 90 amps.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Fat wires in small PVC conduit, done DIY, stinks of conduit that was assembled around the wires, rather than wires properly pulled into a completed raceway assembly. Depending upon how much PVC cement was used at the joints, you may have damage to the cable housing, or have the cable housing cemented to the conduit.

-Jon

RUWired

As far as some of the articles relating to the violations;

Article 314.28 J-box under rated 1.5 x 6"=9"
article 300.4 condiut bushings 1-1/4" or larger
article 225.32 No disconnect inside or outside of building
table 310.16 Ampere rating of #2 al @ 75 degree= 90 amps
article 338.10(B)1 Se cable used in wiring systems must be all insulated

Rick

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
RUWired said:
Article 314.28 J-box under rated 1.5 x 6"=9"
That's not for certain. If the configuration falls under the exception to 314.28(A)(2), then it's legal.

RUWired said:
article 300.4 condiut bushings 1-1/4" or larger
The OP didn't mention bushings, not sure if you're just throwing this up as a reminder, or...

RUWired said:
article 225.32 No disconnect inside or outside of building
Depending on the loads supplied by the panelboard, this could be legal, but I tend to agree the chances are good this section had been violated.

RUWired said:
table 310.16 Ampere rating of #2 al @ 75 degree= 90 amps
Agreed.

RUWired said:
article 338.10(B)1 Se cable used in wiring
systems
must be all insulated
Not so fast - The section you've cited refers to the neutral, not the EGC. In either case, an uninsulated EGC is permitted.

airemdwn said:
It looks like they ran the SER through the pvc. but they must have stripped the Jacket off of it leaving the no.4 AL ground bare in the pvc.
What leads you to be sure? Did the H/O confess, or...?

airemdwn said:
Should i change the ser all the way or just replace the EG, and fix everything else.
I would remove the SER and install 1 AL URD, myself. Drive a ground rod, install a main, and be done.

RUWired

George,Curious as how the load plays exception to article 225.32 requirement to needing a disconnect?
Rick

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Put on your hip-waders and click on into this thread for details - essentially, if the panel is not used as a Lighting & Appliance Branch Circuit Panelboard, and is listed for use as service equipment when not used as such, and has six handles or less, it can contain the main disconnecting means without a main handle in the panelboard.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
1793 said:
If this is a Dweling wouldn't Table 310.15(B)(6) allow 100 amps for #2 AL as a feeder?

A detached garage isn't a dwelling or a dwelling unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.