Submersible pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

NMCB13

Can a submersible pump act as a sacrificial anode in salt water or fresh water?
What is the effect (if any) when electrical current is applied to the pump?

hmspe

Occupation
PE
NMCB13 said:
Can a submersible pump act as a sacrificial anode in salt water or fresh water?
What is the effect (if any) when electrical current is applied to the pump?

Is the question "can it happen?" or "is it OK if I do this?". To the former, yes. To the latter, you'd have a rather expensive pump essentially dissolve over time. Why would you want to do that? What happens when the case erodes to the point that water enters the motor?

Martin

ramdiesel3500

Q. Can a submersible pump act as a sacrificial anode in salt water or fresh water?
A. Most pumps are stainless and will not react to electrolysis. Usually electrolysis is used to protect things like pumps.

Q. What is the effect (if any) when electrical current is applied to the pump?
A. Well, the motor runs and it pumps water (only kidding, couldn't resist!!) Actually, I do not believe this will cause any reaction (or lack therof) due to the reasons stated above. I am not an expert on this subject, but have had some dealings in the past with cathodic protection systems. Hope someone else with more experience will respond.

haskindm

A properly working and installed pump should NOT act as a sacrificial anode. I guess it is possible for a malfunctioning pump to act as an anode, but a properly bonded pump should trip the overcurrent device if this kind of problem is present.

gndrod

Past experience of a stainless deep submersible in freshwater was when the motor fell off the upper pump stages. Check the screws holding everything together for 316 Stainless. Otherwise they will erode and most likely have the same outcome. rbj, Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.