sub-pnl with ground rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdh

Just wandering on a service i installed,useing a 200 amp mobile home mtr base disconect on the poco pole,from their to the house with 2/0-2/0
1/0 copper with #4 insulated ground 100 ft. to the house,the pnl there has a 200 amp main,this should make this a sub pnl,neutral and ground seperated.

so here is my question the inspector wants a ground rod at the meter and one at the sub pnl,
i know it will not hurt anything but why should it be required?

mdh

physis

Re: sub-pnl with ground rod

this should make this a sub pnl,neutral and ground seperated.
I disagree, If you look at 550.32 What you're calling a subpanel is actually sevice equipment. :)

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Sam,I think you meant 250.32 and you are right. The house is a separate structure and requires it's own GES.

iwire

Staff member

Each structure is required to have a ground rod.

The pole is one structure and the house is another structure.

physis

Nope, I meant 550.32 but you're more than welcome to add corroberating codes. :p

iwire

Staff member

I should say each building or structure needs a grounding electrode system.

At the pole there are probably not any grounding electrodes available so you will have to drive a ground rod.

At the house you may have water service that qualifies as an electrode. At the least you will have to bond any metal water pipes to the subpanel equipment grounding conductor.

I do not see the connection to 550.32

physis

useing a 200 amp mobile home mtr base disconect on the poco pole,
You're right again Bob. I read this as if there were a mobile home. My apologies mdh.

jersey

I have two questions along the same lines.A concrete building i am working in did not have incoming water when the job started a year ago now they are putting a bath on the third floor that has already been poured.My first question is can i run the ground in an extra pipe i have going outside , run it around the building in the ground then come back in trough the bathroom.When backfilled the bath will also be under ground.Second question if this is ok ,Will this be adeguete as the only gec.?THe only other ground i can get is from the rebar in the slab.No ufer was installed.This is a dist. panel but there is a main outside that will have two ground rods.I realize this dp will be a sub pnl.

Status
Not open for further replies.