Strobe Panel tap ahead of main lugs of nearest 120/208V panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReemDDC

I have designed a partial fire alarm system consisting of smoke detectors, pull stations, horns and a strobe panel that will serve only 2 floors of a high rise building. This partial fire alarm system is connected to the building's main fire alarm system. On the drawings approved by FDNY, the power for the partial fire alarm system is tapped ahead of the main lugs of the nearest 120/208V panel. To my understanding, this is a common practice but I received letter of defect from FDNY specifying to "provide for power to be tied and fused in street side of electrical service prior to meter, transformer disconnect switch as per code". I was considering complying but that would require the contractor to run almost 300 ft run into a garage to achieve this. I am preparing to dispute the inspector's claim but I can not find in the code to support wiring connections for partial systems. Please help? Thank you

jumper

I found this for NYC:

760.41 Power Source Requirements. The power source for fire alarm circuits shall comply with the following:
(A) Primary Power Source. All fire alarm circuits shall be provided with a primary power source. The primary power source shall be generated electric power not exceeding 277/480 volts, supplied by utility company power or isolated plant. The primary power supply to the fire alarm system shall comply with the following:

(1) Primary power supply for the fire alarm system shall be connected to the primary power source ahead of all building service disconnecting means so that the building service disconnecting means can be opened without de-energizing the fire alarm supply. All utility metering of the fire alarm system, including disabling or removal of meters, shall maintain power continuity to the fire alarm system at all times.

(2) Primary power supply for sub-systems or other limited interior fire alarm systems may be connected to the power supply through the protected area of such systems by means of a connection ahead of the disconnecting means for the power supply to the protected area.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/downloads/rules/1_RCNY_4000-06.pdf

ReemDDC

I found this for NYC:

760.41 Power Source Requirements. The power source for fire alarm circuits shall comply with the following:
(A) Primary Power Source. All fire alarm circuits shall be provided with a primary power source. The primary power source shall be generated electric power not exceeding 277/480 volts, supplied by utility company power or isolated plant. The primary power supply to the fire alarm system shall comply with the following:

(1) Primary power supply for the fire alarm system shall be connected to the primary power source ahead of all building service disconnecting means so that the building service disconnecting means can be opened without de-energizing the fire alarm supply. All utility metering of the fire alarm system, including disabling or removal of meters, shall maintain power continuity to the fire alarm system at all times.

(2) Primary power supply for sub-systems or other limited interior fire alarm systems may be connected to the power supply through the protected area of such systems by means of a connection ahead of the disconnecting means for the power supply to the protected area.

Thanks Jumper

farmantenna

I found this for NYC:

wow! That's an interesting requirement.

victor.cherkashi

I reviewed projects that were done in my MEP office in past several years when we provided new fire alarm control panel for businesses on 1st floors in high rise buildings. Total 8 projects.

Two projects were scenario #1 - power for FA control panel tapped after meter but ahead of main disconnect switch of the tenant, tenant’s disconnect switch and FA disconnect were located in basement (not in tenant space).

Five projects were scenario #2 - power for FA control panel tapped after meter and after main tenant’s disconnect switch but ahead of main tenant’s power panel, FA disconnect was located in tenant’s space).

One project was done per scenario #2, but the inspector asked to do scenario #1.

ReemDDC,
I believe Your description match scenario #2.

I read carefully "NYC EC (amendments for NEC-2008), section 760.41(A)(2)", IMHO ReemDDC's design may not meet requirement of 760.41(A)(2).

If in scenario #2 the main tenant’s panel has a main breaker so you can shut down the power to tenant’s space without interrupting power to fire alarm panel, this situation IMHO could meet requirement of 760.41(A)(2).

Useful link
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/buildings/pdf/industry_reference_sketches.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.