steamer trips gfci

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaffen99

I have a commercial kitchen with a cord and plug connected convection steamer. It trips the GFCI outlet on a regular basis, does anyone have any suggestions as to why this happens?( its only a year old) How would you satisfy the GFCI requirement and avoid the nuisance.
Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
Failing heat element faulting to ground - just a possibility not saying that is what you have.

I'd suggest getting out a megger an analyzing a few things.

iwire

Staff member
I have a commercial kitchen with a cord and plug connected convection steamer. It trips the GFCI outlet on a regular basis, does anyone have any suggestions as to why this happens?( its only a year old) How would you satisfy the GFCI requirement and avoid the nuisance.
Thanks

I agree with kwired that the appliance is likely faulty and the GFCI is doing exactly what it is supposed to do.

Am I correct to assume the steamer has a three wire cord?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Thanks

Have you tried plugging into another GFCI to rule out the GFCI being the culprit?

Sometimes a GFCI breaker will hold where a receptacle type won't.
Also, the steam could have an effect on a GFCI receptacle.

Gaffen99

Have you tried plugging into another GFCI to rule out the GFCI being the culprit?

Sometimes a GFCI breaker will hold where a receptacle type won't.
Also, the steam could have an effect on a GFCI receptacle.

I have changed the GFCI twice to rule that out, and I have relocated the outlet away from any exhaust. If I hard wire the unit, would I be code compliant without GFCI protection? I worry about shock hazard to the employees, though.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I'm going with bad elements too, maybe just a bad connection from the power cord if you are lucky. The GFCI is doing its job.

The fact that the unit is only a year old means nothing. There is a lot of expensive commercial cooking equipment that is pure junk.

iwire

Staff member
I have changed the GFCI twice to rule that out, and I have relocated the outlet away from any exhaust. If I hard wire the unit, would I be code compliant without GFCI protection?

You can't hard wire unless it is listed for hardwiring.

The appliance needs repair or replacement.

I worry about shock hazard to the employees, though.

As I would as well.

If it has enough leakage current to trip the GFCI it has enough leakage current to become a shock hazard if the EGC becomes broken.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Manufacturer may not have insulated internal connections appropriately from steam condensation that may accumulate within the steamers case.

kwired

Electron manager
Why should it matter if it is a GFCI breaker or a receptacle? Both are supposed to respond to same level of current imbalance among monitored conductors. I could understand experiences of one or the other type failing more frequently, and in fact from my own experiences have noticed that maybe 75% or more of the GFCI breakers I run into that are over 20-25 years old will not trip with test button or by introducing an intentional fault condition, of course owners always test them monthly like the instructions say:happyno:.

ceb58

Could be a build up of mineral deposits on the element causing leakage to ground. Has it done it from the beginning or just started?

kwired

Electron manager
Could be a build up of mineral deposits on the element causing leakage to ground. Has it done it from the beginning or just started?
I can't see mineral deposits alone being a leakage issue, but if they (deposits) insulate (thermally) the element enough to cause overheating even in just limited locations I can see that causing a breakdown of the insulation (electrical) of the element.

Status
Not open for further replies.